I Need New Powerheads

Josh&Sarah

Well, my Maxpect Gyre 330s are rusting in my tank. The magnet casing split. What route should I go? I have SPS high and lots of Torches etc... low in my mixed reef. I hate the look of MP40s but maybe that’s what I should do.  Please chime in. I have a 4x2 tank and need 2 pumps with alternating flow. Mounting on back wall isn’t possible. 

F9045BE7-6FB1-46EE-A6CB-BBD86FD9BE5C.thumb.jpeg.66cbd22fbd3ce9471f9a25fef33ab9ab.jpeg

I have AI Nero 5’s on my peninsula and they have been great for the past 2 years. Love them so much I bought some for the new tank I set up too. They have have been headache free and super quiet unlike any of the vortechs I have owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The peninsula is a Red Sea 650 and the new tank is a waterbox 220.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its hard to go wrong with the vortechs. They put out a ton of flow and all of mine have lasted a good while. The ability to control them is great and I think their support/customer service is great of you ever need them. My current setup has a mp60 at each end. 

I have had every type of power head over the last 20 years of reefing in a variety of sized tanks and all have different nuances that make them useful, but overall I think Tunze wave makers have the best longevity, cost value and performance.  That said , all can work for you......

Darren

MP 40s are just so darn ugly. Like, I’ve worked so hard on my tank how it is to have wires running down the outside of the glass into some round growths sticking out the side makes my stomach turn. 

Have you look into Ai nero or jebao slw?

Nero has issue with the back cage that sucked fish in and killed or injured the fish. The jebao slw is the copy but has better back cage. I believed new Nero come with the protection cage.

I am using a slw-20 in the last 6 months and so far so good. 

I did 2 25s... that was the recommendation I got. We will see. I don’t run super high flow. Should be enough. I’m excited to see how it is. Are you using app or just random on each controller?