Thorite's 15g peninsula tank

Thorite

This is the start of my 15g penn tank. Still not sure what livestock I'll fill it with besides overgrown corals from my 20g so suggestions are welcome.

The equipment:

Waterbox 15g peninsula

AI prime HD 16

3D Reefing prime diffuser

Cobalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 75 Watt

Nano ATO from autotopoff.com

Stock return pump

Fritz pro reef salt mix

I plan to add a spinstream nozzle, Jeboa OW-10, and possibly a mini refugium in the center back slot.

The light is on just for the pictures. It is currently cycling with some filter media from the 20g.

I'll keep this thread updated as a journal for me and anyone interested as the tank progresses.20210124_211844.thumb.jpg.11283c635307f127f51abbed7c09c8d5.jpg20210124_211917.thumb.jpg.ac3bb56cc3e7bc5c4b067e35b416e202.jpg20210124_211901.thumb.jpg.f1c5d789a3225c3862090085f2040c13.jpg20210124_232304.thumb.jpg.1b5232b52e53c857b52cd122132e9d13.jpg

Edited by Thorite

Thanks! I used a ton of super glue and reef safe epoxy. I edited the original post to add a front view picture. I tried to give it depth and made the rock look spilt down the middle so you can see the back black panel at the right angle. Im satisfied with it for now but might add more rocks to make it look like right side comes out more.

Looks great! I'm starting my PM15 too (a few threads down). I'm looking forward to tracking yours. Is that an Ikea shelf below? Also, where are you putting your powerhead? I don't see one. I'm struggling with that myself....

I'm not sure where I got the shelf from, I've had it for a while. I know a couple big name stores sell their own copies of it. 

There is no power head yet. Its something I plan on adding but it will most likely go on the back left side so the current hits the flow from the return pump for more turbulance. Are you happy with the nero 3? It was an option for me but the OW-10 is cheaper.

1 hour ago, Thorite said:

I'm not sure where I got the shelf from, I've had it for a while. I know a couple big name stores sell their own copies of it. 

There is no power head yet. Its something I plan on adding but it will most likely go on the back left side so the current hits the flow from the return pump for more turbulance. Are you happy with the nero 3? It was an option for me but the OW-10 is cheaper.

That was my original plan but some people report a stalling of surface skimming from the 2 coming together. I'll tell you about the nero 3 in a month or so. My tank is still dry. I chose the nero 3 purely for the size. It's by far the smallest inside the tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the wait on the update. Not much has changed. I did not go with a spinstream. I was worried the water would get splashed up against the side too much since the outlet for the return pump is so close to it. Instead I got a random flow nozzle. The tank now has livestock picked up from my LFS, Vienna Aquariums. There's a yellow neon goby, an orange spotted goby, and a small box fish that I'll rehome once bigger. Corals I picked up from Jason Abernathie at gr8polyps.com and since I also won the raffle at the WAMAS meeting in March I also got a couple corals from Todd who runs Puddle Aquatics and is one of our sponsors. I picked out this goni and the zoas and blasto. Highly recommend shopping with him. He is very enthusiastic about the hobby and had a good selection. I expect he will have more more awesome pieces as he is just ramping back up.

20210415_181702.jpg

20210415_182827.jpg

20210415_214107.jpg

20210415_214133.jpg

That's a pretty cool update, your tanks been blinged out!