Help! What is eating my acro?

Zac Cannizzo

A few days ago I noticed that when the lights are off there are a bunch of white dots on my red planet acro pictures attached). They move very slowly and disappear within about a half hour of the light coming on. The coral is starting to show some stress such as pale flesh and a white spot at the base. I added a bunch of corals about 2 months ago but dipped them all and haven't added anything since. I can't seem to find anything online that fits the description of what these things are. AEFW (but they're white)? Any help is appreciated.

Inked20210117_102952_LI.jpg

Inked20210118_093751_LI.jpg

It's sounding a lot like AEFW, pale flesh, white spots on the base of the coral. I don't want to cry wolf, and I'm by no means an expert. A quick google search yielded thing like possibly white pox? Also it's mentioned that sometimes redbugs can appear to look white'ish in color on occasion, but I don't know that first hand. 

Tagging along for this one. 

6 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Can you use a razor blade to scrape the white stuff and look at it under a microscope by chance?

Great idea! I don't have access to a microscope but I do have a 10x hand lens that may work.  I'll give that a go in the morning (which is when I'm able to see them) 

30 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

It's sounding a lot like AEFW, pale flesh, white spots on the base of the coral. I don't want to cry wolf, and I'm by no means an expert. A quick google search yielded thing like possibly white pox? Also it's mentioned that sometimes redbugs can appear to look white'ish in color on occasion, but I don't know that first hand. 

Tagging along for this one. 

Thanks! I certainly hope it's not AEFW. Seems odd because there are no feeding marks and the white at the base showers appears to be pale flesh rather than exposed skeleton. Don't think it's red bugs as I had them in a previous tank. 

Ghost flatworms?  They are white, but supposedly they don’t eat coral just may aggravate them.  

I always like to have a wrasse or two to eat anything that may bypass a dip, as well a a mandarin.    

I had red bugs years ago and a trio of leopard wrasses annihilated them in weeks.  

Edited by ReefAddict