Past member thinking of jumping back in with questions

Hi all!

My last post here was May of 2015. I've come by a few times to see what's going on so good to see some familiar names still active and the club going strong! Long story short, I've developed an inch and I'm trying not to scratch it but it is alive and real. Our current situation has me searching for things to do....

The last 5 years have been mostly about family. When I broke down my first (and only tank), life just got the best of me and I had no extra time or motivation to keep something as difficult (and fulfilling) as a reef tank going. I've always thought I'd be back so I never sold (or threw away) my old equipment except for the tanks. The last of my livestock went to zygote2k and I went off into the sunset. 2 kids now older, a few extra hobbies later, I'm now doing some due diligence to see how much effort will be needed to start a new tank.

This club is full of experts with a lot of knowledge that have been both generous and patient  so I thought I'd return to ask some questions. Yes, I will likely rejoin the club at some point when I decide to move forward.

What I still have:

- A complete saltwater mixing station (though broken down) with 2 brute trash cans plumbed together using gravity.

- 4 stage RODI (only needs new filters, I hope)

- A complete Reef Angel + controller

- All of the rock from my first tank

- Avast ATO (the pressure sensor one)

- BRS dosing pump

- TDS meter

- Evergrow D120 from the original group buy organized by monkeyboy (anyone still use these?)

- One of those first gen Jebao WP something pumps

- Lots and lots of other pumps, heaters, sand, Hanna checkers, refractometer, etc

Initial thoughts:

- Must be easy to take care of. After the 'rona ends, I'm likely to go back to work but more flexibility to be home but it will not be 100% WFH.

- Nano tank. Something like a 10G ish size, AIO like Waterbox, IM, Lifeguard, etc. Was initially thinking Fluval 5 but may want some more water volume.

- I would not use any media but count of biological as much or long as I can and then perhaps add a skimmer later on.

- Quiet. Silent pumps, quiet lights

- Likely going mixed reef with appropriate livestock for tank size.

- I know "easy" is a misnomer because smaller means mistakes are amplified. I'm talking doing 1 or 2G water changes 1x a week. I can handle that.

Questions:

- Does the actual RODI system go bad? I assume I can do a flush and replace new filters. Does the JG connections go bad? Does the ASOV need to be replaced? I just opened the canisters up and the filters from 5+ years ago still have water. I threw them away, kep gaskets, etc of course.

- Do equipment like refractometers, tds meters go back? Just calibrate? Hanna checkers? Just new regents?

- Heaters? New or can re-use?

- Dosing pumps? Good still? Do they go out of calibration?

- Reef Angel. Any one here still use them? When I left, there were a few people into this.

- Since my rock was live but now dead for 5+ years. Will that be enough to cycle the tank?

- Anyone with personal experience w/ the nano's I mentioned above? Thoughts? Advice?

More later! Thanks.

Great to see people coming back to the game. I myself lurked in this and other sites for years before pulling the trigger. Now I am happily going down the rabbit hole.

I have some thoughts on your questions but others with more experience may also chime in. In general it depends on the state the equipment was left more than the time that has elapsed at least for electronics. Mechanical parts, like power heads and return pumps, may need cleaning with citric acid or vinegar.

1. RODI: I would keep the housing and get new filters. You may want to check if the gaskets are still good. In any case, filters are similar across multiple brands and if the old one doesn't work at all, you may still use them in a new unit.

2. The refractometer should be fine as long as you calibrate it every use. Hanna checkers should also be ok. Replace the reagents if they are expired. You can always test and compare results with another WAMAS member results or the LFS before buying new testing equipment.

3. I would replace all heaters unless new. They are so fundamental in the hobby and can wreak havoc if/when they fail. I usually replace mine on a yearly basis and always have spares just in case.

4. BRS dosing pumps are solid. I would replace the inner tube before reusing.

5. Reef Angel. Sorry. No experience with that one.

6. You could start soaking the rock and eventually cycle it. I would definitely reuse after appropriate management. There are many sources online and here that can guide you on how to do it.

7. I have a AIO IM Fusion 10 that I use for a coral QT. The total "usable" water volume is around 7.5 g. and I honestly think I should have gone bigger for my application. Having said that, it completely depends on what direction do you want to take your hobby. Lots of people with nano experience here and breathtaking nano systems.

My $0.07

13 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Hey, Jack! Good to see the name pop up!

Issac!

Great to hear from you. I can see from your signature that you've been through an evolution of tanks too. I skimmed through the Mr. Aqua 22 post, great job. Are you still in VA? That post said you were moving. Can take this to PM so others aren't bored w/ small talk.

3 hours ago, Yachaq said:

Great to see people coming back to the game. I myself lurked in this and other sites for years before pulling the trigger. Now I am happily going down the rabbit hole.

I have some thoughts on your questions but others with more experience may also chime in. In general it depends on the state the equipment was left more than the time that has elapsed at least for electronics. Mechanical parts, like power heads and return pumps, may need cleaning with citric acid or vinegar.

1. RODI: I would keep the housing and get new filters. You may want to check if the gaskets are still good. In any case, filters are similar across multiple brands and if the old one doesn't work at all, you may still use them in a new unit.

2. The refractometer should be fine as long as you calibrate it every use. Hanna checkers should also be ok. Replace the reagents if they are expired. You can always test and compare results with another WAMAS member results or the LFS before buying new testing equipment.

3. I would replace all heaters unless new. They are so fundamental in the hobby and can wreak havoc if/when they fail. I usually replace mine on a yearly basis and always have spares just in case.

4. BRS dosing pumps are solid. I would replace the inner tube before reusing.

5. Reef Angel. Sorry. No experience with that one.

6. You could start soaking the rock and eventually cycle it. I would definitely reuse after appropriate management. There are many sources online and here that can guide you on how to do it.

7. I have a AIO IM Fusion 10 that I use for a coral QT. The total "usable" water volume is around 7.5 g. and I honestly think I should have gone bigger for my application. Having said that, it completely depends on what direction do you want to take your hobby. Lots of people with nano experience here and breathtaking nano systems.

My $0.07

Hey, thanks! Rabbit hole indeed. I've been assessing my inventory the last few days and just plugged in the Reef Angel. Talk about a cluster of knowledge. I need to determine if I'm going to use that before I can determine what new equipment I need. I know 10G sounds small but I may be flexible up to 15G.

Does anyone know if any of the LFS has some of the smaller AIO's so I can view them? I'd love to know how much room is in the compartments to determine how I want to set things up. I see QR is still around, good for them. BRK is still here and I see one or two new ones in NOVA too. Glad to be back!

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Does anyone know if any of the LFS has some of the smaller AIO's so I can view them? I'd love to know how much room is in the compartments to determine how I want to set things up. I see QR is still around, good for them. BRK is still here and I see one or two new ones in NOVA too. Glad to be back!

I can measure the compartments in my 10g if you think that helps. Let me know.

4 hours ago, Yachaq said:

I can measure the compartments in my 10g if you think that helps. Let me know.

No, it's okay. I can find the specs online. I'm really talking about seeing it in 3D to understand with my eye how it is volumetrically. Which tank do you have? What is your overall impression? Thanks!

4 hours ago, howaboutme said:

No, it's okay. I can find the specs online. I'm really talking about seeing it in 3D to understand with my eye how it is volumetrically. Which tank do you have? What is your overall impression? Thanks!

I have the IM Fusion Nuvo 10g. The tank is good, although the back chambers can be a little tight, specially if you place the light's mounting arm on the back rim. I have a media basket in the sock compartment, a skimmer, the heater and a ato sensor all crammed in there. Comes with its own net cover which is very practical. One of the good thinks about this size is that unless you go with high demand corals, water changes take care of your Ca and Alk when done frequently.

- Does the actual RODI system go bad? I assume I can do a flush and replace new filters. Does the JG connections go bad? Does the ASOV need to be replaced? I just opened the canisters up and the filters from 5+ years ago still have water. I threw them away, kep gaskets, etc of course.

I'm still using my Typhoon III almost a decade later. I'd flush it, new filters, new membrane, and Bob's your uncle. 

- Do equipment like refractometers, tds meters go back? Just calibrate? Hanna checkers? Just new regents?

not that I know about, just calibrate and pick up new regents, you got it. 

Speaking with first hand knowledge of having a heater short and low boil a tank, I would advise you to not only use new heaters for your display, but to rotate new ones in every year or two.

I imagine they are still OK. I would plug them in for a minute and see how much water it moves through/how calibrated it still is! 

- Reef Angel. Any one here still use them? When I left, there were a few people into this.

There are some Reef Angel buffs out there still, I was going to set one up on the nano, but I don't have time to learn the ins and outs, plus I figured I didn't need it, my tank is controlled independently from each piece of equipment, not a brain like an Apex or RA. I think there's enough technology out there now that a wifi connected power strip is cheaper and just as efficient in most cases. 

- Since my rock was live but now dead for 5+ years. Will that be enough to cycle the tank?

If you didn't clean it before you stored it, probably. I'd still throw in a shrimp/ghost feed, you'll have to complete the nitrogen cycle. 

- Anyone with personal experience w/ the nano's I mentioned above? Thoughts? Advice?

Get your rock cycling in a brute or a rubbermaid storage container while you start thinking about it, that way you can have a cycled tank when you're ready to pull the trigger. 

12 hours ago, Yachaq said:

I have the IM Fusion Nuvo 10g. The tank is good, although the back chambers can be a little tight, specially if you place the light's mounting arm on the back rim. I have a media basket in the sock compartment, a skimmer, the heater and a ato sensor all crammed in there. Comes with its own net cover which is very practical. One of the good thinks about this size is that unless you go with high demand corals, water changes take care of your Ca and Alk when done frequently.

Thanks! I'm debating between the IM 14 peninsula or the Waterbox 15 peninsula. So far leaning towards the IM even at a higher price as it comes with 1 mm thicker glass (not sure if that's a huge deal at this size) and the top. The waterbox, I have to buy the top separate. I just would like to see one in person. I'm also stuck on stands. I like the IM one as it's aluminum but I want to access it from the long side, not the short side.

20 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I'm still using my Typhoon III almost a decade later. I'd flush it, new filters, new membrane, and Bob's your uncle. 

not that I know about, just calibrate and pick up new regents, you got it. 

Speaking with first hand knowledge of having a heater short and low boil a tank, I would advise you to not only use new heaters for your display, but to rotate new ones in every year or two.

I imagine they are still OK. I would plug them in for a minute and see how much water it moves through/how calibrated it still is! 

There are some Reef Angel buffs out there still, I was going to set one up on the nano, but I don't have time to learn the ins and outs, plus I figured I didn't need it, my tank is controlled independently from each piece of equipment, not a brain like an Apex or RA. I think there's enough technology out there now that a wifi connected power strip is cheaper and just as efficient in most cases. 

If you didn't clean it before you stored it, probably. I'd still throw in a shrimp/ghost feed, you'll have to complete the nitrogen cycle. 

Get your rock cycling in a brute or a rubbermaid storage container while you start thinking about it, that way you can have a cycled tank when you're ready to pull the trigger. 

Thanks Isaac! All good points. I did soak my old pumps (whether I use them or not) in a vinegar bath and will continue to do some of the background work. I actually don't mind cycling in the DT as that will give me time to make adjustments as I hope to re-use the Reef Angel, add, subtract or replace items, etc.

hi

I just go back to the hobby as well!  Thanks to @BlueAntec for his RODI. I'm making water again.

However I would suggest to clean and soak your RODI canisters in water mix with bleach for 30 min then brush it and rinse it. Air dry them should be sufficient

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks! I'm debating between the IM 14 peninsula or the Waterbox 15 peninsula. So far leaning towards the IM even at a higher price as it comes with 1 mm thicker glass (not sure if that's a huge deal at this size) and the top. The waterbox, I have to buy the top separate. I just would like to see one in person. I'm also stuck on stands. I like the IM one as it's aluminum but I want to access it from the long side, not the short side.

I just saw a IM 14 peninsula this morning at reef escape. You could give them a call to see if it is still there.

1 hour ago, thewire said:

hi

I just go back to the hobby as well!  Thanks to @BlueAntec for his RODI. I'm making water again.

However I would suggest to clean and soak your RODI canisters in water mix with bleach for 30 min then brush it and rinse it. Air dry them should be sufficient

Thanks! This is good advice. I'll do that before restarting.

1 hour ago, Yachaq said:

I just saw a IM 14 peninsula this morning at reef escape. You could give them a call to see if it is still there.

Appreciate the heads up. I may stop by their retail shop when they open up on Wednesday.

I ended up ordering the Waterbox Peninsula 15 with their 24x18 white cabinet. I went with this over the IM because I thought it looked better, the corners and their detailing were cleaner. A slightly cheaper price (on sale both tank and cabinet) helps too. I'm currently drumming up a list of supplies I still need and not immune to buying used if someone's getting rid of stuff. I'll post a WTB at some point. Not sure how long delivery will take. I've heard they are backed up.

PS. I also officially (re)joined the club!

Edited by howaboutme

26 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I ended up ordering the Waterbox Peninsula 15 with their 24x18 white cabinet. I went with this over the IM because I thought it looked better, the corners and their detailing were cleaner. A slightly cheaper price (on sale both tank and cabinet) helps too. I'm currently drumming up a list of supplies I still need and not immune to buying used if someone's getting rid of stuff. I'll post a WTB at some point. Not sure how long delivery will take. I've heard they are backed up.

PS. I also officially (re)joined the club!

Awesome! Congrats on the decision. I would be interested to see how it develops.

Welcome back to the club!!!

2 hours ago, Yachaq said:

Awesome! Congrats on the decision. I would be interested to see how it develops.

Welcome back to the club!!!

Thank you! This is exciting and can't wait to get going.

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Thank you! This is exciting and can't wait to get going.

Nice...i m just restarted my money pit journey again but I have IM 10.