WAMAS Winter 2021 (Virtual) Meeting - 23 January, 3 PM - Colby Johnson

Origami

Saturday, 23 January 2021
Time: 3:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M. (Speaker starts at 3:15 PM)
Where: Virtual - Zoom + Facebook Live (to the WAMAS Group page)

This is our first shot at a virtual meeting and is aimed to educate and entertain, as well as work out any kinks in our meeting and streaming platform. We will try this first and will schedule our annual meeting for later - probably in March. 

We will post details of how to participate in this thread.

We had Colby scheduled to speak last Spring, but COVID forced cancellation of that meeting.  I'll update his bio and topic as needed/available. But, for now, I'll re-post his bio from last year's notice.

Speaker: Colby Johnson

Colby Head Shot.jpg

Topic: Marine Angelfish: Life History and Reproductive Behaviors

Colby will be providing an overview of the life history and reproductive behaviors of Marine Angelfish, and discuss how this information applies to our home aquariums. His hope is to convince aquarists to consider keeping more reef fish in pairs, and show them how to do it. Captive bred marine fish will continue to become ever more important, and there is a significant role hobbyists have to play in developing a greater understanding of captive reproduction of many of our favorite aquarium specimens. He will cover topics including selection, quarantine, tank sizing, nutrition and reproduction. Colby hopes that some of the audience will leave this talk with a renewed passion for marine angelfish and respect for their incredible diversity and behavior.

Speaker Biography

Colby is a 32 year old fish nerd, currently residing in the wonderful and rainy Pacific Northwest. His background runs the gamut from fisheries tech work, to aquaculture and of course, the marine aquarium industry. While he loves all fish, Marine Angelfishes and Syngnathids are histrue obsession. In the 20+ years he has spent in this hobby, he has had the privilege of working at numerous local fish stores and consulting for different companies in the industry. His professional focus is on marine fish reproduction and nutrition. In addition to numerous other hats, he is currently raising seahorses and working as an Aquaculture Technical Consultant for Reed Mariculture.

Agenda:

3:00 PM   Announcements

3:10 PM    Introduction

3:15 PM    Speaker

4:15 PM    Discussion / Q&A

4:45 PM   Raffle/Doorprize

5:00 PM   End

Raffle Prize
One Ecotech Marine MP10wQD

MP10_SpecsL.jpg

Specifications

Flow: 2,500 gph (9,500 LPH)

Power Consumption: 8-19 Watts

Tank Range: 2.5 - 50+ gallons (9.5 - 190 liters)

Max Glass Thickness: 0.375 inches (9.5 mm)

Raffle Process and Rules

A virtual raffle is something that will be new for us, so please bear with us as we get through this together.

Here's the essence of what we're thinking.

• No purchase is necessary.
  • The raffle is open to WAMAS members only. (You must be a member at the time of the drawing.) The WAMAS President is ineligible.
  • The drawing will be held during the WAMAS meeting currently scheduled for January 23, 2021.
  • The winner must be "present" at the meeting (either through Zoom or Facebook) to claim the prize.  If not present, we'll draw for the next winner.
  • Members that sign up have an equal chance at winning.
  • A week or so before the meeting, we'll start a sign-up thread (click here) in the forum. 
  • Members participate in the raffle by posting once and once only to this thread. Duplicate sign ups will be deleted. If this rule is abused, a member may be removed as a partricipant.
  • This thread will be closed the night before the drawing. No warning will be given to the thread closure.
  • The WAMAS President will use an online random number generator to generate a number from 2 to the max post# in the thread and will announce the winning number. The drawn number identifies the winner by their post number (i.e., sequence number in the thread).
  • If the winner is present, we'll mail or transfer the award to them. If not, we'll draw again until we have a winner.

Thank You, WAMAS Sponsors

Special thanks to these sponsors. WAMAS has deliberately avoided collecting sponsorship fees from them during these tumultuous times, but they need your support now more than ever. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

WAMAS Platinum Sponsors 

- Aquarium Depot
Avast Marine
Blue Ribbon Koi
Capital Aquarium

- Chemipure
Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
FishnReef.com
LRS Reef Frenzy
- Pimped Out Aquariums

- Piscine Energetics
- Premium Aquatics
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
Reef eScape

- Reef2Rainforest Media (Coral Magazine)
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Supreme Reefs

WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors 

Cobalt Aquatics
- Coralvue
- Jellyfish Art
Live Aquaria

- MASNA
- Two Little Fishies

Special Thanks 

Special thanks to Eureke Strategic Consulting of Columbia, MD, who (through a donation) are sponsoring our virtual meetings in 2021.

Watch this space for more information to be made available as it arrives!

• Origami changed the title to WAMAS Winter 2021 (Virtual) Meeting - 23 January, 3 PM - Colby Johnson

Raffle Prize
One Ecotech Marine MP10wQD

MP10_SpecsL.jpg

Specifications

Flow: 2,500 gph (9,500 LPH)

Power Consumption: 8-19 Watts

Tank Range: 2.5 - 50+ gallons (9.5 - 190 liters)

Max Glass Thickness: 0.375 inches (9.5 mm)

Raffle Process and Rules

A virtual raffle is something that will be new for us, so please bear with us as we get through this together.

Here's the essence of what we're thinking.

• No purchase will be necessary.
  • The raffle will only be open to WAMAS members.
  • Winner(s) must be present at the meeting to claim a prize if they win. If they are not present, we'll draw for the next winner.
  • Members that sign up will have an equal chance at winning.
  • A week or so before the meeting, we'll start a sign-up thread in the forum. 
  • Members would post once and once only to a thread in the members area. Rules will be included in the first post.
  • The thread would be closed before the drawing.
  • An online random number generator will be used to generate a number from 2 to the max post# in the thread.
  • The resulting number would identify the member who won by their post number (i.e., sequence number in the thread).
  • If the winner is present, we'll mail or transfer the award to them. If not, we'll draw again until we have a winner.
  • If more than one item is being raffled, we'll repeat the process. (Previous winners will be automatically ineligible for subsequent drawings. If their number is drawn a second time, we'll announce the repeated number and simply draw again.)

This meeting will be available to a very limited number of members through our Zoom account. (I've not yet set up the meeting link, but if you're interested in attending the meeting on Zoom, please send me a PM.) You will also be able to participate through a livestream to the WAMAS Facebook group. If you're not already a member of this group, you may want to sign up now because we may not be able to approve your request if things get too busy during the meeting.

Just so people are aware: I am receiving various requests to attend the Zoom meeting. Because of our account, we have limited seats available to attend via that method and I will not respond to the requests until I have a full accounting of the situation. Your request has not fallen into a black hole. The default means of attending should be the Facebook livestream if at all possible to ensure that we have adequate resources available to all of us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Late raffle items from Reed Mariculture, makers of Reef Nutrition:

* One $100 gift certificate

* Two $50 gift certificates (2 chances to win)

We'll raffle these off today. So that we can spread the wealth, if you win one of the previous items today, you'll be ineligible to win another raffle item. So we'll start with the MP10 and move down the list in order of decreasing value.

I have a few more Zoom seats available for today's meeting. If interested, I'll take the next handful of requests before closing out the Zoom participant list. PM me if interested.

We'll still be on Facebook Live! 

Zoom slots closed. You can still join us on Facebook. We'll be streaming live to WAMAS group. If you're not already a member of the WAMAS group, join now and one of the admins will try to approve you before we get too far along.