Above Tank Sump

WoodReef

I recalled someone ask this same question years ago.

Personally, I think it’s not a good idea. 
2 issues that came to mind.

1) If pump died or power went out, you will likely flood the display tank.

2) if the drain line clogged, then you will flood the sump.

it’s doable, but will most likely beat the purpose of having a nice display tank. Unless you preferred to have a display tank with low water level line in order to accommodate the water from the sump if power went out or pump died.

I wonder if you have the return pump in the lower display tank baffle / overflow.
The water volume and ato could be managed in the lower tanks baffle.
You could then run the top “sump” with an overflow box, similar to a traditional tank, in the last chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lowest tank is always going to be the sump.  No matter if it's the display or holds the equipment. That's where the water will go when the power is off.

Having said that, you could set up drains on the upper tank so that when the power goes out it only drains a little bit of water into the display as long as you leave enough headroom in the display tank to accommodate the extra water.  Then you'd have your return pump in the display tank or something I guess?

You could also put another tank below the display to hold overflow.  Then it would be the sump, could hold the extra water, and the upper tank would basically be a refugium.  That's the most common config of people who put a tank above their display.

• 1 month later...