Glen Burnie Low Bow

I started this process back in August so let’s start from the beginning.

August 2020, I stop by House of Tropicals on my way home from work and come home with this.

cb3ce7faafd75dce50c460e0bf48d50d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to start working on the stand. My wife was building a bench for our front porch. Since the tools were out I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and build a stand. I was dreaming of 80/20 extruded aluminum...oh well. Here’s the stand and my beautiful wife with her bench.

bc06cf8e4f06ea807c602e33be2c4573.jpg
c58ef482ec27d6496cf75fa166d2c4d5.jpg
252bb9cb213c2914fece78f21e26da65.jpg

The stand was sturdy but I wanted a cleaner look. I bought some bondo wood filler and began to fill the seams. The two part bondo wood filler is perfect for impatient people. Solidified in about 5 mins, sandable in a half an hour.ab33b5a323d2f285e4fd7d6cef3fbe7e.jpg
63d94f60d2c00fa5a67407487c544ab2.jpg
42cf79bad15557c1ee7e0d262b396296.jpg

I’ve been patient. Working within my budget each month I was waiting to buy the overflow box until there were some Black Friday sales. A friend stepped in and bought me the one I wanted. Time to drill! Here are the returns and the overflow. Drilling was fun. I bought 5 diamond bits on amazon for $12 which worked great for the return lines. The overflow box came with its own bit. Hearing protection is absolutely a MUST.4f6ea4b620e92a7ab6b2cd2d0b2d3146.jpg
ba73fcc403d0bf0d9e091067d701177e.jpg
6b69b96ab9b0c6e0b21b960bbe5aaa46.jpg

And now today. 10/30/2020 here is what is going on, and I need help. It looks like there is a small weep, not enough to make a drip, between the glass and the external portion of the overflow box. The kit only came with one movable gasket, which I put between the internal box and the glass. I cut a new gasket from rubber to place on the wet side of the external box.

The configuration is hard to explain. The internal box stands off from the glass because of the gasket. Is this correct?

Gasket on what would typically be dry side of a bulk head...is this necessary?
5d18e88f739a793a554243961b4f7033.jpg

Nice build.  What size tank is that and what are the dimensions?

Thanks. It’s a 50g Zoomed Low Boy.

48” long, 24” wide, 9” tall from glass to the top of the black rim.

Nice setup!  Did the leak stop?  Looks like you have the gasket correct.  Mine wept a little my first go around just needed to be a little tighter.  

If you have room, I’d turn the tank and make it a peninsula.

Edited by ReefAddict

Nice setup!  Did the leak stop?  Looks like you have the gasket correct.  Mine wept a little my first go around just needed to be a little tighter.  

If you have room, I’d turn the tank and make it a peninsula.

I have a gasket on both sides of the glass now, and no gasket inside of the external box. No leaks at the moment

I have it in a small little workshop in my basement but plumbed it so that I could make it a peninsula with the overflow and returns all in one side.

Nice setup, I would remove the lid as it blocks light. I would take advantage of the evaporation. Use Kalk in your ATO. Just my .02 .