UV sterilizer recommendations

Almoe

9 Watts of UV lighting seems very low for their rating of 125 gallons.  For reference, AquaUV which lots of people have used here for years, lists 25W for their "Classic" series to handle an aquarium that size.  Just adding the twisting path in this Twist doesn't account for additional capacity to kill organisms.  it just changes the geometry of the water path.  You still need the same water/light contact time per unit of UV radiant power to do the same amount of pathogen killing.

I appreciate that AlanM. I found the brand and looks like they have excellent ratings. Excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, AlanM said:

9 Watts of UV lighting seems very low for their rating of 125 gallons.  For reference, AquaUV which lots of people have used here for years, lists 25W for their "Classic" series to handle an aquarium that size.  Just adding the twisting path in this Twist doesn't account for additional capacity to kill organisms.  it just changes the geometry of the water path.  You still need the same water/light contact time per unit of UV radiant power to do the same amount of pathogen killing.

+1

AquaUV is a great brand.  Higher wattage bulbs means less contact time needed so higher flow, the TurboTwist would do the job but the flow is so much slower that it would take forever to filter out your tank despite wrapping the water around it multiple times.

Thx for the input guys. I caught a good deal from a member of course on a 40watt Aqua UV so I’ll be plumbing it in shortly. Even got an extra transformer for it! I appreciate the knowledge base!

• 1 month later...
Can we close this thread?

For what purpose? We don’t really close threads so others can learn or ask!

Agreed on the Aqua UV classic.  Rock solid unit.  I had a cheap early model UV from another company that had a twist tube that was some type of plastic.  The water flow got clogged and then the heat from the UV bulb burned and melted the plastic twist tube and then the salt water cracked the bulb.  Luckily the fuse blew and there was no fire.  Have been running a 40 watt Aqua UV for about ten years now and replace the bulb each year.  Over that decade I had to replace one transformer and one quarts sleeve (I broke it changing a bulb).  That is not bad. 

About two years ago I decided to remove it from my system on someone's recommendation.  The tank lost it's shimmery super clear look and I hooked it back up after about a month.