Sunroom Tank

KingOfAll_Tyrants

So someone put forward the idea of putting a reef tank in a sunroom.   That's fine, I told the person, but beyond the algae problem (really more of a "nutrients go up algae will grow with all the sunlight to a degree not as obvious if you're in a basement with actinic lights, IMO"), this person keeps the sunroom windows open all the time summer and winter.  So, the temperature has gone up to 86 several times this summer during the day, and down to 71 at night (which happened as recently as this Wednesday).  Further, in the winter the temperature in the room can easily go into the 50s, mostly because they don't want to close the windows (and to say nothing about their $100s in electricity bills, but they don't pay for it and so they don't care)

I'm told them that's not really a good place to keep a tropical tank especially with corals; even if you put more heaters than normal in the tank (to compensate for the winter), having the air temperature vary so dramatically IIRC is also a big problem. 

Is my understanding right, or am I off base here?

Thanks!

There are people who use natural sunlight for their tanks, some with automatic shades on timers. In a tank that has great nutrient control and temperature control, I think it's great. We have a member who has, or did years ago when I saw it in person, an amazing frag system that uses natural light.

Is the person planning to just allow those temp swings to affect the tank, with no heaters or fans?

Edited by treesprite

While it's possible to do this, it's certainly not optimal.  I don't think the air temperature matters per se, so long as the water temperature stays within reasonable limits.  One could use heaters and a chiller to keep things safe for the inhabitants. 

But if there's an equipment or sensing failure, they're going to have real problems because the water will seek equilibrium with the ambient air temperature.  86 is too hot, and 71 is too cold.  A single excursion may not kill the corals, but it will hurt them.

Thanks folks.  Yeah, sunlight isn't so much the issue, it's the temperature swings.  I'm aware of people who handle it (to include Pacific East, which grows their SPS in a greenhouse).  The kicker is that this tank needs at least two heaters IMO with a decent backup power supply.  It also probably should have a fan to come on when the temp goes about like 83 or so.   I'm not so sure if they are willing to do the latter, in which case they should adopt some kind of more accomodating FW fish.    

Besides, I saw the table they proposed putting it on last night, it probably can hold a 20g but it's a bit wobbly so I don't know how big a tank I'd recommend to them...............

It's a shame, IMO the sunroom is a pretty good place overall.