How long.........?

dmatt56

Hello WAMAS!

Believe it or not, my 180 is hitting 10 years, and I've been in the hobby for 11 years this summer!

So, my question is.....how long do things last?

My 180 mixed reef glass aquarium with wooden stand are both 10 years with me and ??? years with the original owner.  How long can the wood stand last?  How long will the silicon seams last on the glass?

The eheim jager heaters are 5 years old.  How long will they last? 

Anything else I should worry about?

The T5 lights keep getting repaired! :) I can replace the T5 end caps to keep it running bright!!! 

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Matt

2 minutes ago, lowsingle said:

Sounds like you are looking for a reason for an upgrade ?. Congrats on ten years with the same tank!

Darren

Darren,

I told my wife it would be an insurance policy.... 

matt

Hi Matt!

Considering Paul B’s aquarium is over 45 years old I wouldn’t worry about the tank itself. Unless of course you are seeing signs of the silicone deteriorating..? 

Is the stand starting to show any kind of deterioration? If not I think you are in good shape. 

As for the heaters eventually the internal thermostat inside them breaks and they default ON. They may have already... you wouldn’t know it because your apex is turning power off to those outlets that control those heaters.  This happened to me when I tried to use an old heater that was hooked up to an apex previously on a new tank. 

Sounds like you are looking for a reason for an upgrade . Congrats on ten years with the same tank!

Darren

Lol I totally agree with Darren on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy reefiversary. Do regular maintenance on things that get calcium deposits, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless of course you want a shiny new toy. Then tell your spouse that everyone's health is at risk unless this critical upgrade is made.

You guys are ruining his chance to upgrade.