Clownfish Pregnant?

XxTech MoneyxX

Hello all-could someone help me in confirming if this clownfish is pregnant? If so, any tips on making sure they live.972bb90e1c083174647ef330488e7ac2.jpg

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to tell from the pic, and it's going to take more than a thread here for you to get up to speed on raising clownfish fry.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing it; it's very rewarding to raise a clutch of eggs past metamorphosis and into teeny fishlets.  But there's a lot to it.

For now, I recommend you just watch and enjoy.  If she's carrying eggs, she'll lay them and the male will fertilize them.  They'll start doing this every ~2 weeks or so.  Often it takes the fish a few tries to figure things out and get it right.  Eventually they'll hatch, and the fry will all be eaten or swept into your filtration and die.  If that doesn't happen, they'll starve in your tank because they need a really high food density and will only eat certain things.

Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfish is a great one.  There's also tons of online info about raising clownfish, including culturing rotifers and baby brine shrimp.

I appreciate the guidance for sure. I’m looking forward to the research and time it takes to raise them.

I’ll post the eggs if I find them and the process I use.

How old is the fish, or how long has it been in your system?  To me, it still looks a little young (almost like a non-reproducing male).

How old is the fish, or how long has it been in your system?  To me, it still looks a little young (almost like a non-reproducing male).

Not sure how only it is, but I have only had it for about three months. It is the bigger of the pair.629b736e58a575f1cba56f19530382d3.jpg

In appearance, they’ll usually lack that almost transparent look when mature.  They also tend to have wider bodies, a pronounced cleft above the eyes, and a mouth that always seem to frown.

Just give it some time.  If it is carrying, you’ll soon see the on a rock.

• 2 weeks later...