Aiptasia

sturnmeyer

I inject vinegar into mine. I think having a needle to inject them with whatever is key. Not to say that I've completely eliminated mine though, but they have not ever gotten out of control.

There also is a nudibranch that will eat them. The downside is the nudibranches die once there is no aptasia to eat.

I've used a rather unconventional way to rid myself of 2 aiptasia I recently acquired on some live rock I purchased. Since I was able to take the rock out of the tank, as it wasn't part of the aquascaping yet, and I "boiled them off".

Each of aiptasia was on the "end" of a rock, not the middle. I boiled tap water in a coffee cup in a microwave, then used a turkey baster to pour water directly on the aiptasia on the rock.

This obviously killed an area about 3 inches by 3 inches on the LR, but it worked.

I'm sure there are better ways to do this...

-Carl

I have used Joes Juice twice, and haven't seen any since. If you catch it early, it works great. You can also make a kalkwasser paste, put it in a dropper bottle, and voila! :biggrin: When you inject something into the anemone, it tears the tissue dispersing thousands of microscopic pieces into the system. These in turn attach to whatever they can and reproduce. I have had great success with adding a copper band butterfly fish thanks to a friendly tip from martin!(Thanks, man :cheers:)

I am sure everyone and their mother have ways to deal with these things. They are a fact of life in this hobby. Bob Fenner has some good things to say on this subject. Good luck!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/...ia/aiptasia.htm

Thomas

p.s. I think I remember reading somewhere that someone decided to keep an aptasia tank. :drink: :why:

Anyone else, or am I imagining things?

Thomas

Ya - peppermints are the way. Any other "additive" you put in the tank I would avoid. Messes with the chemistry. That's just my own two cents and paranoia. . . :)

If you want a really sure fire way to get rid of them - get a raccoon butterfly. Mind, you won't have any corals left, but I guarentee you will not have any aiptasia 24 hours after you put it in :wink:

Guest fishwish

Ya - peppermints are the way. Any other "additive" you put in the tank I would avoid. Messes with the chemistry. That's just my own two cents and paranoia. . . :)

can you put the peppermint with a flame angel and a cleaner shrimp in a 90g?

can you put the peppermint with a flame angel and a cleaner shrimp in a 90g?

shouldn't be a problem. flame angels tend to only go after coral and clams. i'd get 2 or 3 for a 90.