GHL profilux 4

kngfisher

For those that have thought about switching from an apex unit to an ghl profilux 4 unit. All I can say plan ahead.

connectivity:

The profilux 4 unit is wireless only. There is no option for hardwire Ethernet unlike the apex unit. Make sure that your wireless network access point has a strong enough signal to the profilux unit or you will have issues controlling from your phone or the myGHL site. 

app support:

the myGHL app it nice. You can see the status of all probes and their colors will change based on thresholds that are set on  the main dashboard however you have to go into the probe settings area to see the actual threshold. 

Mac compatibility:

the GHL initial setup has to be done from the ghl control center application which is not compatible with OSX. Yes, setup can be done from the profilux touch accessory but it is a pain. You will need a usb cable and virtual windows install to setup the unit and follow the ghl documentation.

setup:

unlike the apex unit which is very intuitive and allows for simple “if” “then” statements, the profilux control center forces you to setup control / switch channels and establish relationships with processes. Once done everything works and is stable but it would have been easier if logic was more intuitive. 

Vortech control:

works however you can’t see on the dashboard what program is being used or current speed. 

led lighting control:

not many 3rd party led lights are compatible with the profilux 4. Apparently the older profilux units were compatible with the aqua illumination led units (I still run 4 of them) however according to ghl, the commutation protocol is old and obsolete so they dropped support. I did have them setup with the apex however the connection between the apex and older ai units were inconsistent and frequently left the lights in a half on or off state when dimmed at night. There is support for dimming but have not figured out how to make that work. 

Besides probes, do you have any leak detectors, or any water level sensors connected?  If so, is it easy to integrate those sensors to work as an ATO system?

I’m considering the migration but that is one area of concern for me (besides the lack of Mac support).

• 2 weeks later...

Full system specs

profilux 4
doser 2.1 slave

dkh director 

profilux touch

3 level sensors (1 optical/2 float)

1 leak sensor

1 2000l flow sensor

add-on card (digital temp and ph)

my ato is separate however I have a level sensor in my top off container so the ghl sends me an alarm when the container is low. 

The readings have a been very stable and works fine with virtual box. I do still miss the ability to use simple “if” “then” statements however since the ghl system has not let me down I can’t really complain. 

I have the flow sensor on my pump feeding my UV. If the pump Flow sensor goes below a 150I/h the socket for the iv is turned off so the bulb does not run without water. I also control my ozone with my ghl monitoring the redox to either turn on or off the socket. I have a temp prob in my sump controlling the heater and another temp prob in the display so I can monitor both the temp in the sump(in case a pump locks up and heats the water...yes that has happened). 

I also have the ghl breakout box that I plan to add additional float sensors to so that my skimmer shuts down if the cup gets full but have not done that yet.