Should I go with Radion G5 Blue or Pro?

swizz

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting the Radion Xr15 G5 for my tank. I'm leaning towards pro because it seems more  tweakable (for lack of a better word). Any recommendations on if I should get the G5 Pro or Blue version?

I got the Pro and love it. The other 3 were on backorder and are supposed to arrive Wednesday. I went with the pros because it gives me more adjustability options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the word I was looking for “adjustability” duh! Lol. I’m probably going to go for the. Do you have the 15 or 30? Did you buy new mounts or are using the old mounts?

That’s the word I was looking for “adjustability” duh! Lol. I’m probably going to go got that too. Do you have the 15 or 30? Did you buy new mounds or are using the old mounts?

Lol don’t worry I have those forgetful moments often these days. I got the 15’s to replace my kessil’s and they are going into my aquatic life t5 fixture.

2ea90d3212e56418731f91a796dffb6e.jpg

I was running 4 kessils but two of them pooped out on me. Comparing the one 15 pro I have with the kessils im going to have to say the pro is so much nicer and way brighter at the highest setting. I can’t wait to get the rest of them.

I can’t tell you what to get but I just struggled with this same question and went with the pro for the same reason stated. Sometimes I may want to see the tank in a 12-14K. I popped open one of the pros when it arrived and set it up on mobius to get a feel of how blue AB+ was and it’s plenty blue for me. Here’s a pic of the light at 50%. Give a week or so and I can send you a pic with the lights hanging.

120fc753dc29a15ca111876fd9e211bf.jpg

I can’t tell you what to get but I just struggled with this same question and went with the pro for the same reason stated. Sometimes I may want to see the tank in a 12-14K. I popped open one of the pros when it arrived and set it up on mobius to get a feel of how blue AB+ was and it’s plenty blue for me. Here’s a pic of the light at 50%. Give a week or so and I can send you a pic with the lights hanging.

120fc753dc29a15ca111876fd9e211bf.jpg

Sweet tank

I run a lot more blue, so I went with the Blue instead.  I don't plan to adjust my light often so maximizing the bulbs for AB+ is what I look for. Have the XR15  to test and is very happy with the color. Ordering two the XR30 (also Blue).

Thanks for the feedback and pictures folks.
Do you guys think either one makes a difference as far as coral growth?

I dont have a pic but I went with 4 xr30 blues running at 90% over a 72x36 tank. Ab plus schedule. They are plenty bright and not to blue imo

I didn’t really give that much consideration since I had radion gen 3 lights before and they grew coral really well. For me it was just an aesthetic question and ecotech has been making great products for years. While I want my coral to grow, I’m not a farm so rapid growth just isn’t my goal. In the end since the blue is tuned to run AB+ out of the box, and you’re ok with always being blue, you might eek out a little more growth assuming you chemistry and flow are ‘perfect’, there’s a lot of variables at play when it comes to growth.

I dont have a pic but I went with 4 xr30 blues running at 90% over a 72x36 tank. Ab plus schedule. They are plenty bright and not to blue imo

I’d love to see a pic of that. The photos I saw of the blue were pretty blue. Still like the adjustability of the pro though.

So I ended up going with the pro for the frag tank. Depending on how I like it I’ll decide if I want to get the blues or pros for the main tank. Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll post some picks once I set it up.

So I ended up going with the pro for the frag tank. Depending on how I like it I’ll decide if I want to get the blues or pros for the main tank. Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll post some picks once I set it up.

Hey Guys, why is everyone ordering these online instead of getting them from local vendors?  We should support those who support the club. 

I thought about ignoring this but I really don’t appreciate this comment. With all do respect I don’t think you or anyone else should be questioning where any of us choose to spend our hard earned money. I choose to support both local and online vendors as I see value in both and both employ people and provide their families with a means of living. I really don’t want to get into this much further so let’s please get back to the original topic please.

3 hours ago, khalid said:

I thought about ignoring this but I really don’t appreciate this comment. With all do respect I don’t think you or anyone else should be questioning where any of us choose to spend our hard earned money. I choose to support both local and online vendors as I see value in both and both employ people and provide their families with a means of living. I really don’t want to get into this much further so let’s please get back to the original topic please. emoji1690.png

Despite you asking me to not respond, here I go (and sorry if I offended you) as this has always been a big push of the club.  You've been around the club long enough to recognize this and also to know that I was an officer for around a decade and worked tirelessly on behalf of the club and it's membership.

Ever since our sponsorship program was founded (and I was one of the group of 6 that actually founded it and wrote all of the rules for it) the club always tried to make it a two way street where we supported the vendors and the vendors supported us.  The opening of the sponsorship to online vendors versus just brick and mortar vendors was hotly contested both in the officer group and also the vendor community.  These were good times when we had a multitude of shops to choose from but there was also a time when more shops were closing down than were opening up.  Supporting the local fish stores has always been a push of the club so sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way but I'll say it every time when I see people shopping online instead of at the local stores.  A huge amount of what the club has done has been because of the local shops and their involvement with the club and programs like Receipts for Raffles were designed to encourage our members to shop at the local stores rather than the big box shops.  It's also a current push for the club to figure out how to support more of the local stores as their presence and value is immeasurable to the club.  The big box and online vendors do so much business that it really doesn't impact them one way or the other whether you shop at them or not.

In terms of local stores, you can also see these lights in action by going to a store.  Big difference from reading the same scripted language that was sent out by EcoTech and the online vendors are all using.  The price is the same no matter where you go except that some of the online vendors actually charge above MAP pricing and then turn around and sell it at MAP with a sale advertisement (Marine Depot is famous for this).  In terms of which light to get, you'll get a far better response out of a local store on which one to get based on your color preference than you would out of a big box store which probably doesn't even have these installed.  I can't tell you the number of times where I've asked questions of the sales teams for these places and come to find out they don't have any experience in aquariums whatsoever.  For @swizz, you should go with whichever light you like more - the blue is much bluer and the pro is closer to the older models.  If you like a ton of blue light then these don't have as much PAR value but then again, few people run Radions at 100% because these are very powerful lights.  If you would rather have a truer daylight look, then go for the Pros.  Personally I prefer the Pros because I am not a fan of the all day actinic look.  That said, you can tune a blue to more of the daylight look but that means you are not utilizing the largest group of LEDs that it comes with.  In the end, it's all about personal preference.

Back @khalid, of course you can spend your money wherever you want, of course it's your choice.  I'm not telling you to not shop where you want to but don't forget that the local fish stores support this club in ways you cannot imagine unless you're behind the scenes.  Your choices are your choices.  Off my soapbox.  Again, this is not meant to be an attack on you but rather a reminder that this is a push for the club as a whole.  Having this out there is important for newer members to see and I don't consider it to be off topic although my first post didn't really allude to why I responded and this one fleshes it out.

Davelin315 thank you for your feed back. As to the online purchase, I get a “Delaware” discount (if you know what I mean) so usually end up getting big ticket items from onlineI do agree you that in these hard time we should definitely support our LFS.

Ok back to the light I got the lights in. I’m not a fan of aticics either. Plus I’m trying to match my G4s so I “think” pro was the right choice. But let’s see I just got the lights so let me fire them up and see if i made the right choice.

IMG_5269.jpgIMG_5271.jpg

So seems like setup is cancelled for tonight. Looks like they tightened the faceplate bolts too tight and cracked it around the hole. Have to call the seller in the morning to go about getting a replacement. Ugh kind of pissed right now. I was looking forward to setting up the light....another reason to get locally I guess. Who knows how long the replacement process will take.

IMG_5273.thumb.jpg.4a5e78adebb23987796d9a836208fc57.jpgIMG_5274.thumb.jpg.d1d7dc8283e3affb322df20282b82ea1.jpg

That suck. I better make sure to check the one I installed and the other three waiting to get installed carefully then. Thanks for the heads up

This was a problem on the first couple run of lights. It was remedied on the newest releases.

Ecotech will send you a new faceplate with directions how to install it from what I've read

So called up Ecotech this morning and they said they will send a new faceplate

This was a problem on the first couple run of lights. It was remedied on the newest releases.
Ecotech will send you a new faceplate with directions how to install it from what I've read

Thanks for the advice!

Got the rest of my fixtures and finally installed them last night

f3559aad06d138a78e262e2eb6f0f240.jpg

2 minutes ago, khalid said:

Got the rest of my fixtures and finally installed them last night emoji16.png

f3559aad06d138a78e262e2eb6f0f240.jpg

What's the shimmer like?  Or is it more flat like pure T5?