Red Dragon Stn

ReefAddict

Woke up this morning to find my red dragon acro lost 80+ % of its flesh overnight.  I know people say they are sensitive, but I’ve never had a problem before.  All parameters tested fine.  Alk, Ca, Mag.  Phosphate and nitrates same as always.  Only thing my apex showed out of the ordinary was my ORP was high 451 yesterday for about and hour.  My ORP is usually high though.  No evidence of pests, and all other acros look happy.

Any thoughts?  Going to do a water change later today and frag and superglue what I can to hopefully save some of it.  

Just now, ReefAddict said:

Woke up this morning to find my red dragon acro lost 80+ % of its flesh overnight.  I know people say they are sensitive, but I’ve never had a problem before.  All parameters tested fine.  Alk, Ca, Mag.  Phosphate and nitrates same as always.  Only thing my apex showed out of the ordinary was my ORP was high 451 yesterday for about and hour.  My ORP is usually high though.  No evidence of pests, and all other acros look happy.

Any thoughts?  Going to do a water change later today and frag and superglue what I can to hopefully save some of it.  

Weird thing about SPS is the reaction can come from something prior, like an swing in dKH or temp. When I moved the only coral I lost was my Red Dragon colony, and I found out the only thing that MIGHT have had something to do with anything is my heater wasn't plugged in for a few weeks, whoops! 

Even stranger, I had a frag on my rack on the other side of the tank.... completely fine....

This is kind of funny to me because my red dragon grows like a weed. On the flip side, i cannot keep acans alive....

45 minutes ago, Lowefx said:

This is kind of funny to me because my red dragon grows like a weed. On the flip side, i cannot keep acans alive....

Same, grows very fast, but also very finicky. 

Yes, red dragon is finiky. It will grow really nicely for a while and then all of a sudden you will either see STN or RTN. one thing I have noticed is that it doesn’t like a Alk spike. Even a small spike will trigger rtn. Now on the flip side, if you do a course correction by a water change or dosing, it does bounce back. Or if you frag the tips and start over with frags, most of the times the frags will survive.