Rainy Weekend Forthcoming?

BeltwayBandit

Speaking of testing back-ups. We tested ours a few weeks ago (inverter w/3 marine batteries). It ran for about 11 or so hours but we cut the test off because we wanted to go to bed. It was close to running out anyway - typical life on previous tests I was 12 hours and the indicators were on red anyway.

Problem - the next morning the batteries were STILL recharging.

How can I recharge them faster?

Speaking of testing back-ups. We tested ours a few weeks ago (inverter w/3 marine batteries). It ran for about 11 or so hours but we cut the test off because we wanted to go to bed. It was close to running out anyway - typical life on previous tests I was 12 hours and the indicators were on red anyway.

Problem - the next morning the batteries were STILL recharging.

How can I recharge them faster?

Get a different charger! :biggrin:

Some chargers will allow you to charge at different rates. Supposedly charging slower is better than faster, but if you are experience fluxuating power I'd imagine you'd want to have your batteries charged up as fast as you can. mine has three settings, but after a power failure unfortunately it defaults to the slowest charge mode.

Is this one of the DIY backup systems everyone built earlier this summer? Are you running everything off of it or just critical life-support? I can run a mag 9 for 18 hours with just a single high-capacity battery. From the research I've done, circulation and surface tension for gas exchange are the critical items. Since my sump return does both, that's all I have hooked up to the battery backup. In the wintertime I'll add a heater, but that will likely be it.

Get a different charger! :biggrin:

Don't be a wisenheimer! :)

Some chargers will allow you to charge at different rates. Supposedly charging slower is better than faster, but if you are experience fluxuating power I'd imagine you'd want to have your batteries charged up as fast as you can. mine has three settings, but after a power failure unfortunately it defaults to the slowest charge mode.

I need to see if mine has any option for recharging rate - it may have.

Is this one of the DIY backup systems everyone built earlier this summer?

No - it's a Tripp-Lite (from Jehmco) - but I wanted to hear how long the DIY ones take to recharge so I can maybe compare or see whether they do anything to speed recharging.

Are you running everything off of it or just critical life-support?

Running main pumps for both tanks (MAG 12 & 36)

From the research I've done, circulation and surface tension for gas exchange are the critical items. Since my sump return does both, that's all I have hooked up to the battery backup.

Wish I knew what the *&^% that meant and how I could use that to charge my batteries faster :-) I have surface overflows (boxes in each corner) and good circulation - is that the same thing?

Inna - it sounds like you are running what I'd consider the critical life support. What I meant by "circulation and surface tension for gas exchange", is exactly what you think it is. Good circulation for your water and as long as you are getting ripples on the surface of your water you're getting good gas exchange. That has nothing to do with charging your batteries faster though... just about the health of your tank while on battery mode.

If you already have 3 marine batteries, it might be a fairly cheap upgrade to convert it to a DIY system, that way you could have your own charger of choice, and pick one that will charge faster.

Inna -

Well - you're in the general area :-)

Good circulation for your water and as long as you are getting ripples on the surface of your water you're getting good gas exchange. That has nothing to do with charging your batteries faster though...

Ok - that's where I got confused - I thought there was supposed to be a connection.

If you already have 3 marine batteries, it might be a fairly cheap upgrade to convert it to a DIY system, that way you could have your own charger of choice, and pick one that will charge faster.

Will look into that.

I would still like to hear about recharging time from anyone with the DIY backups when you've had a chance to use them.

sterb003.gif :bounce: BB , what is today's update?

Ask and ye shall receive: Two things to note: 1. the forecast now calls for it to still be at tropical storm strength when it gets here, 2. We are forecast to be on the "bad" (eastern side) of the storm.

124147W_sm.gif

word of advise to anyone out there without a generator or battery back up unit. Don't panic. Just do water changes every other hour and keep water circulation with a paddle or by water changes. This will keep oxygen in your tanks. Also, make sure your battery back up air pumps are new and the unit works. Don't wait until the storm gets here to find out the flash light doesnt' work. Test it today. Good Luck

word of advise to anyone out there without a generator or battery back up unit. Don't panic. Just do water changes every other hour and keep water circulation with a paddle or by water changes. This will keep oxygen in your tanks. Also, make sure your battery back up air pumps are new and the unit works. Don't wait until the storm gets here to find out the flash light doesnt' work. Test it today. Good Luck

Get a UPS they're fairly cheap or free if you're resourceful, and use it to run your air pumps

It is almost identical to the last one I posted.

Winds are now up to 70 mph by the way. Inland flooding is a possibility. 4-8 inches in our area, more in some places. Max Mayfield, God of Hurricanes just spaketh, as we all turn towards noaa and offer thanks :-).

Guest clownfish4

I'm in Wilmington, NC and we have gotten about 5" of rain so far. The wind isn't breaking 10 or so mph yet, but they claim the worst time will be between 10 and 12 now, instead of 8 to 10. Anyways, seems to be a pretty wimpy storm so far. We're right in the center of the path though, so who knows...

Guest clownfish4

Well, it passed right over us and it was pretty wimpy. You guys don't need to worry, it shouldn't be too bad.

Anybody loose their power?

Mine flickered a couple of times in Falls Church!

<-- Not worried, might run some rain water though a filter system and add it to my tank to spite the weather

Now if I olny had an RODI system :drink:

Edited by jason the filter freak

Jason,

FWIW

GET ONE! Will reduce over 99% of your water problems in your tank! :wink:

Guest Rileyporter

Howard,

I lost power for a few hours.... tanks looks ok though.. With the exception of the already messed up xenia :(