Help with School Tanks During Closing

MaeganWink

I will say that, at the moment I've been very lucky in that my school is letting me in twice a week to take care of the critters, including the saltwater tanks. However, even with that I'm running into some problems and I want to see if I can set up some contingencies if worse-case scenario happens and I won't be allowed back.

Problem 1: My R/O system doesn't make water fast enough to allow me to compensate for the amount of evaporation my tanks experience when I'm only allowed in twice a week for an hour each visit. We are looking to see if can let the system run and have a custodian shut it off in the early evening/late afternoon, but if that doesn't work, we're going to need another source of water. Is there anyone in the northern va area willing to give me water if this happens? Look for fresh only. I'm not sure we'll be able to afford to "buy" water long-term, though I may do it in the interim. 

Problem 2: If I am no longer allowed in the building, I have a HUGE amount of livestock that will need to be moved. 

-Is there anyone who has the room to essentially "board" livestock for me until the time I could set up the systems again? (I know this is unlikely, but I'll still ask it first)

-Is there anyone who can take free livestock in worse-case scenario where I have to get rid of them quickly?

My most difficult thing to home would likely be my mantis shrimp, so especially if anyone knows they could take him in a worse-case scenario, please let me know!

If anyone has any other suggestions for either problem, please let me know.

Thanks for all your support this past year and a half. I'm hoping this pandemic won't bring all our hard work to an end, but we have to do what we have to do.

it looks like one of our sponsors, Reef eScape, is offering curb side self help refill of RODI water for free.  Not sure how far you are, but that might work for you?

I wish I had capacity to help with problem 2, but I only have a 6g at the moment.

I will say that, at the moment I've been very lucky in that my school is letting me in twice a week to take care of the critters, including the saltwater tanks. However, even with that I'm running into some problems and I want to see if I can set up some contingencies if worse-case scenario happens and I won't be allowed back.

Problem 1: My R/O system doesn't make water fast enough to allow me to compensate for the amount of evaporation my tanks experience when I'm only allowed in twice a week for an hour each visit. We are looking to see if can let the system run and have a custodian shut it off in the early evening/late afternoon, but if that doesn't work, we're going to need another source of water. Is there anyone in the northern va area willing to give me water if this happens? Look for fresh only. I'm not sure we'll be able to afford to "buy" water long-term, though I may do it in the interim. 

Problem 2: If I am no longer allowed in the building, I have a HUGE amount of livestock that will need to be moved. 
-Is there anyone who has the room to essentially "board" livestock for me until the time I could set up the systems again? (I know this is unlikely, but I'll still ask it first)
-Is there anyone who can take free livestock in worse-case scenario where I have to get rid of them quickly?

My most difficult thing to home would likely be my mantis shrimp, so especially if anyone knows they could take him in a worse-case scenario, please let me know!

If anyone has any other suggestions for either problem, please let me know.

Thanks for all your support this past year and a half. I'm hoping this pandemic won't bring all our hard work to an end, but we have to do what we have to do.

If you get in a bind could host for a month or so. I’d have to pull a bunch of stuff together. No biggie. But someone else may already be set up.

Looks like you may be setup for water. If not that’s easy. I’m in Manassas though.

So I found out reef escape is only doing the first 10 gallons of water for free.  So @BtmDweller if you can do more than that, even at a better price than $1 per gallon, that would be helpful.

@ImGoingCoastal We have the R/O system set up in the classroom, yes. So we store water in a big 30 gallon trashcan, but like I said, I don't make much water in an hour and we've had issues with flooded previously when the system was left on by accident. I'm on the second floor, so it's even worse because it can get into the classrooms below me if we flood.

So I found out reef escape is only doing the first 10 gallons of water for free.  So [mention=2636656]BtmDweller[/mention] if you can do more than that, even at a better price than $1 per gallon, that would be helpful.

[mention=2636714]ImGoingCoastal[/mention] We have the R/O system set up in the classroom, yes. So we store water in a big 30 gallon trashcan, but like I said, I don't make much water in an hour and we've had issues with flooded previously when the system was left on by accident. I'm on the second floor, so it's even worse because it can get into the classrooms below me if we flood.

Just let me know when you want to bring jugs by. No charge.