Brand new tank with foam in sump

elwallacejr

I’ve been working on a build for a while now and filled it yesterday for the first time with RO water. The strange thing was that in no time the sump started building up a foam you can see in the picture. I haven’t even added salt yet. I can only think of two things:

Rocks were all glued dry with epoxy and cyanoacrylate (I know that the epoxy can make skimmers go nuts)

I bleach cured the rock and after two subsequent soaks after bleach treatment wasn’t enough (I did use plain bleach)

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

IMG_6939.jpgIMG_6945.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I see you said you used putty. Yea it makes the skimmer go nuts. I used some of that caribesea life rock with the infused bacteria and my skimmer did that for about a week. I had to raise it 4+ inches just to get it to stop overflowing. 

build a stand for the skimmer and raise it up. Or just turn the skimmer off and let the cycle happen. 

Thanks epleeds! The rock is Tonga branch that I bought from another wamas member. I’m not running the skimmer right now since I didn’t want to turn my sump into an exploding washing machine!

I ran the overflow with the main drain wide open for a while and that put a lot of air through the system. The overflow is tuned now though. But last night the water level got low in the return so the pump blew a lot of bubbles.... and made more foam.

The only things I used were vinegar and bleach. And everything double or triple rinsed or soaked.

That looks like soap to me.

could someone have dumped some in? Got kids?

Did any of the plumbing parts or pump come in contact with soap?

I’m the only one who touched it. I agree it looks like soap but it doesn’t smell like soap. Doesn’t have any smell at all.

There's actually a lot of similar threads on another very popular forum, Culprits include unwashed filter socks, added bacteria for cycles, and live sand. Not sure you used any of those though?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I got home tonight and some of the foam had subsided, not all though.  With all the comments about soap, I grabbed a handful of it to get a better feel for it and it's definitely not soap.  The bubbles were almost coarse and hard to pop.  They weren't slick like soap would be and when I smelled the stuff, it smelled a lot like the rock before it got wet.  I'm concluding that this is probably a combination of dust and epoxy putty from all the cutting and aqua-scaping I did.  I also turned on the skimmer and it exploded like the last time I used epoxy.  I guess I was hoping the by using the putty and letting it cure for a month (or two) dry, it wouldn't blow up.  Guess I was wrong.  That said, I added salt so, sand and bacteria tomorrow!  Woot!

Thanks for all the comments!!!