Needed ASAP - bacteria from FW tank

treesprite

Could someone with FW tank near me either give me some bacteria from an established tank, or take this beta fish that a homeless guy gave me to save? I'm between  Aspen Hill and Olney, trying not to drive too far for this. Any time tomorrow, but if possible, not early in the morning.

The fish has something on the tail that looks like fungus, so you won't want to put it with other fish, but I'll give you the 2g tank I have it in. It is an all-in-one with a place to grow plants out of the top of the back section. I don't know where the plant media went, so it won't be included. You could just put some of your substrate in it to provide the bacteria, and/or put a piece of filter foam or pad in the back section.

Edited by treesprite

Nobody has a FW tank in my area?

3 minutes ago, Max! said:

I'd help but I'm a ways away :( 

Thanks anyway!

Do you live anywhere near Justin Casp on Norbeck?  He has freshwater systems in his greenhouse and likely has a lot of grunge from the filters you could use.

Oh, I just realized something. I've been oblivious to the fact that there is a 50g in the corner of the living room half filled with dark brown water from trying to leach out a 3ft piece of driftwood for over a month. Will there be the right kind of bacteria in there?  There must be some nitrification process going on, because, looking through the dark water, it looks like there is probably algae growing on the wood (I was so busy that I haven't been changing the water, which is why it got evaporated to half full). The pH, I'm guessing without testing, is probably about 6.5 because of the tannins.... I'm not sure what pH betas need, will have to look it up. Timing was just not right for setting up the planted tank I wanted to do just so I would be able to use the wood that sat around in my place for 5 years.

Edited by treesprite

They can live in just about any water conditions; I wouldnt worry about the nitrogen cycle at all (especially in a large tank). Check out where they come from naturally, it's pretty incredible what they can endure. 

I'm not putting the beta in the big tank, it is staying in the 2g tank.

I did a 1/3 water change with the dark brown wood water. I put charcoal in the beta tank to try to clear the color. I hope the charcoal works, because I'm gonna use the wood water again when I do a change in a few hours. I'll go to regular RODI once the ammonia is down. 

I just can't believe I wasn't thinking about the wood tank all this time. I could have done this yesterday.

Edited by treesprite