Emergency tank setup

Whitewillsmiff

Sorry for the dramatic title, had a 2nd floor leak tonight that requires drywall repair in our first floor. Unfortunately my tank is in the affected area and need to break down my tank. Anyone got a recommendation on a temp setup while the work is performed? Was considering snagging a long cooler so I could close the lid during dusty/sanding periods. 

It's a 40g breeder with a 20l sump. Not much room in our small townhouse as we're having to relocate all of our furniture while the work is performed. Don't want to lose my clowns/blenny and corals I just snagged at this weekend's meeting. 

20200210_214313.jpg

Neat idea with the cooler. I'm sure there is someone near you that would hold the corals for you. Ask around, it wouldn't hurt and it may give you some piece of mind. Then you could go fish only with a HOB filter in a container of your choosing. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure the stress is making my mind go a 100 different ways. Just worried about losing my little buddies after finally getting the water clear and parameters decent. My corals aren't super fancy but don't want to watch cash go down the drain, literally haha

I cracked a Nuvo 20 and had to do an emergency setup. Picked up a 20l from Petco and turned it into an AIO. Works pretty well, and wouldn't take more than a day to make.

If it were me, I'd probably buy a 20L and put it somewhere out of the affected area and transfer rock and inhabitants to the new tank. I wouldn't mess with sand in the temp setup.

With the 2 primes you have it'd be a smooth transition, I would think.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I agree with Coastal.  

Get a small tank, transfer rock into it and then fish and coral.  Put a small pump in it to keep it running with a small heater.  No need to light it for a few days.  Feed very little and make a small water change every few days.  It should be fine.  Cover the main tank to avoid drywall dust.  

You could also lift it out of the room to move it once you get everything but the sand out.  Drain water into buckets, carry tank out, put that water back in and you’re good.

How long will the repair take? If it is only a couple days couldn't you cover the tank with a tarp and let it ride, so to speak? Maybe drain the water and slide it out of the way, if it is, than put the water back in and cover it.

I had bug bombed a house with a reef tank before by covering it with plastic and taping everything up so it was sealed up. Would not recommend doing that but it worked being completely sealed. Drywall dust shouldn't be a problem if prepped properly.

Looks like it won't be as drastic of a repair as I assumed, won't need to move the tank. Going to get some painter's plastic to completely cover it and tape the edges to the floor. Beers + Panic + leaks are bad combos.