I need help with acrylic/silicone leak.

TonyInVa

I have a kalk stirrer that is leaking where the acrylic tube meets the acrylic base plate. I tried just applying more silicone, but that didn't work. I would like to separate the  base plate from acrylic tubeso that I can reseal it. I used a heat gun to remove what silicone I could but could not separate the two. The heat softens the silicon. I am afraid to heat it any more, as I don't want to warp the acrylic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silicone does not bond to acrylic. You need to repair the solvent weld between the two pieces.

Instead of silicone caulk, get a tube of Weld-on 16 (medium bodied acrylic solvent cement) and run a bead all along the bottom joint. The solvent in the cement will soften the base and the tube, and the solids in the cement will effectively braze the joint to seal it up.

Make sure the surfaces are completely clean and dry before applying the Weld-on.

As Tom mentioned it will not bond and will come loose.  Silicone is designed to bond to glass and not plastics.  My advice is same as Tom’s, remove all of the silicone and apply weldon.  You will be happier in the end.