Fish Breeders in the DMV

Avery

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the DMV area. Are there any local fish breeders? I am looking to stock a new Red Sea Reefer 250. I would prefer to purchase from local breeders rather than harvested fish from a store.

Unfortunately there are very few saltwater fish a hobbyist can breed at home (at least without incredible investment and dedication)... as mentioned you might find someone breeding bangai cardinals, or a clownfish breeder. There really is no such thing as a local fish breeder other than the few varieties.

If you want captive bred fish in general, there are many species that companies like ORA, sustainable aquatics, biota and others specialize in. You will be able to find their fish in most fish stores or online.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biota has captive bred yellow tangs. I was so happy when I found out about them. It is my favorite fish. They run about $100 which is a good price given what went into the breeding and raising of them on top of the research and trial-and-error that had to be done.

Talk to some of the LFS and online such as pacific East Aquaculture. Dr Mac is at many of the meetings and super helpful. If you’re looking for designer clowns, or other fish it’s worth a chat, and save you on shipping.