Starting a new Reef setup, suggestions wanted.

VicSkimmr

I'm in the planning phase of starting a new SPS dominated reef, and I've got the first draft of it done.

Ok, so here's the design.

65widepic.jpg

Its a 65 gallon wide tank from glasscages. The dimensions are 36"x24"x17". Viewable from 3 sides.

For lighting, I think I'm going to try T5's this time, because I can't afford a MH/T5 combo, and the only reason I like MH is because of the shimmer effect it gives off. I was thinking a 4x39 watt Tek system, unless another company has come out with something of similar quality thats cheaper.

Filtration will include a EuroReef CS-1 and about 40 lbs of live rock (I want to leave a lot of room for coral growth); the bioload will be light. I'm also planning on adding a UV filter later on.

For water movement I'm still on the fence. I installed a closed loop on my last tank and it was complete overkill. This go around I was hoping to have 2 Tunze's and have them alternate flow, but apparently the low end models can't be used in that way. I could always go with 2 SEIO's if they are long lasting (or wait for the Tunze Nano Streams) as well.

I'm all for constructive cristism and suggestions, I really want this tank to run well.

Jason

I have the same 65w from GC tank as my frag tank.

-I would ask if they can put the overflow box on the out side of the tank, those boxes take up a lot of space in the tank.

-Remember, this tank also comes euro braced so the hole in the top for you to get light through is only 30"x18" (you will not get any meaningful light through the eurobraced lip).

-Rik

Jason - I assume you're building the stand framing out of wood 2x4's?

Looks like you need to move the vertical 2x4's to be on TOP of the lower 2x4's on the floor, and UNDER the upper 2x4's next to the tank...rather than bolted or screwed in on the side like the picture suggests.

-Carl

Hmm, I hadn't thought about either of those options. I wonder how much extra they would charge for an external overflow box?

I also didn't mention that the tank would be glass, do they still eurobrace them even if it isn't an acrylic tank?

Jason - I assume you're building the stand framing out of wood 2x4's?

Looks like you need to move the vertical 2x4's to be on TOP of the lower 2x4's on the floor, and UNDER the upper 2x4's next to the tank...rather than bolted or screwed in on the side like the picture suggests.

-Carl

Thats easy enough to fix, it should add a good bit of usable space too I think.

Its a 65 gallon wide tank from glasscages. The dimensions are 36"x24"x17". Viewable from 3 sides.

For lighting, I think I'm going to try T5's this time, because I can't afford a MH/T5 combo, and the only reason I like MH is because of the shimmer effect it gives off. I was thinking a 4x39 watt Tek system, unless another company has come out with something of similar quality thats cheaper.

For lighting, I'm torn between 2x250 watt MH or T5's. Or maybe a combo of both. I just don't know!

Vick I love the MH shimmer effect but I hate the heat! I'm running T5's now and I love it, not shimmer :( but NO HEAT issues! :wink: With excellent coral growth. Here is picture of my tank on 5X39W TEK T5 retro's.

BTW in the next couple of weeks I'll be selling 5X36" TEK reflectors, 3X39W Ballasts, 2X39W Aquablue+ Bulbs, 2X39W Pure Actinic Bulbs and 1X39W 6500K Mid-Day Sun Bulb (All the Bulbs are Geissman) These items are 5 months old and the reason for sale is because I'm going with 5X54W TEK T5 retros on a 90G tank. I paidaround $450.00 new, we can discuss the price if interested.

IMG_2703.jpg

Raf

Search for a thread on WAMAS by HowardofNova...he just built a couple of stands out of 2x4's...

His thread showed a detailed design and description, and plenty of pictures.

-Carl

Call and ask about the eurobracing on acrylic, I doubt they would do it but I'd call and see 1st.

Here is a pic of the glass, mine does not have the center brace.

65W.jpg

Here is the only picture they show of an acrylic tank with eurobracing (180g).

4528_acrylicaqeurobraced.jpg

-Rik

That seems strange that they would Eurobrace a glass tank. I would have thought it would be easier to use the plastic trim to help brace it just like they've done with the bottom pane. I'm giving them a call today anyway, so I'll have a chat with them about it.

That seems strange that they would Eurobrace a glass tank. I would have thought it would be easier to use the plastic trim to help brace it just like they've done with the bottom pane. I'm giving them a call today anyway, so I'll have a chat with them about it.

The black trim you see is not like you gat on a perfecto, oceanic or all-glass tank. This stuff is decrotive only and you can peel it off easily as it is a thick, bendable plastic tape just stuck on.

Check with Emissary - he was very unhappy with his purchase of a 180 and can give you some negative feedback about their customer service. IMO, the tanks I've seen from them are fairly sloppy, but I've only seen a few of them. Seems like they kind of just slather on the silicone rather than apply it carefully, and the eurobracing I've seen for their tanks doesn't seem to be done all that well with uneven gaps between the panes. That said, a lot of people have glasscages tanks and are very happy with them, but as in any case, it's caveat emptor.

By the way, that was a really cool stand picture, is that on cad or a similar drawing program?

Thanks, its always good to hear the good and the bad before buying.

I'm not too thrilled with having to go pick the tank up from them, but I've pretty well settled on those dimensions and I can't seem to find any other place that makes one like that. If anybody knows of a fairly reasonably priced glass shop (or maybe an acrylic shop, but I don't know if I want to go that route again), I'd definitely be up for using a different vendor, or if we have members who are adept at building tanks, I'd be more than happy to pay well for them to build me one.

I drew up the diagram using Sketchup, which is basically a simplified version of CAD.

, it's caveat emptor.

Lawyers.... ex-lawyers at that! :biggrin:

I have a GC that I am happy with, but you need to know what you are getting into if you go that route.