water quality question

Irishfist25

im about to get back into the hobby after a couple years out.  i"ve moved since the last time i had tanks and i feel the water quality at my current house is worse than it was before.  My water is owned by a private company(Aqua) and it seems to leave a white residue when it dries.  i had a humidifier that would accumulate hard white crust(much like salt creep) around the spout and it was me worried about the RO/DI unit. I dont know if there are any steps i should take before buying a ro/di unit to make sure i get the right setup for the job.  Any recommendations are experience with this matter is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

how often are you replacing the DI resin.  i understand that time doesnt really matter, but do you have an idea of usage or gallons made between having to replace it?

2 minutes ago, Irishfist25 said:

how often are you replacing the DI resin.  i understand that time doesnt really matter, but do you have an idea of usage or gallons made between having to replace it?

So it would last about 4 months for a dual di chamber.  It would automatically run to refill my 10g ato reservoir when it was empty about 3-4 times a week and when I did a water change to fill a 34g trashcan which was about once every 2-3 weeks.  So I am guessing I needed to replace it after about 600-700 gallons of RO/DI water.

Just now, Irishfist25 said:

what unit are you using?

It was technically a 7stage Unit. I modified 2x 4 stage units together.  I was running a 5 micron sediment, 1 micron sediment, 2x 1 micron carbon blocks, 1 micron chloromine carbon block, and then 2 di resin Chambers.  

wow, do you think if i ran a 4-5 stage unit with a 1 micron sediment that i would be ok?  i know its a crapshoot not knowing exactly what im dealing with coming out of the tap.  

Just now, Irishfist25 said:

wow, do you think if i ran a 4-5 stage unit with a 1 micron sediment that i would be ok?  i know its a crapshoot not knowing exactly what im dealing with coming out of the tap.  

I think the key out here to extend the life of filters would be a 1 micron carbon block and a 1 micron chloromine carbon block.  It should be fine with just a 1 micron sediment filter since I don't think I ever needed to replace my sediment filter.

so i found a water report for my community, but its greek to me.  I see chlorine on the report and not Chloramines, but other than that, i dont know what to look for.  Does anybody know some specific things to look for?  Here is a link to the report, if you want to look at it https://www.aquaamerica.com/WaterQualityReports/2018/VA/VA2069650.pdf  i know its from 2018, but should give me a good picture of what im dealing with.

I’m partial to BRS units mostly because of modularity, ease of use, and relative cost.  Depending on the your planned usage, aquarium size, and budget, I would recommend different course of actions.  I do however believe the 5-stage units are a good general place to start and can be modified later to add more canisters if needed.  For efficiency I’d also recommended their dual RO membrane as that cuts waste water in half.
Your water quality report is somewhat easier to follow than WSSC’s.  My big take away was that they don’t use chloramines as a disinfectant.  That being said, you can use regular carbon blocks.  I have been using 5 micron pre-filters without any issues and change them out based on color (which is well before any noticeable pressure drops).  I also change out my carbon blocks at this time so again it’s well before they are depleted. I’ve never tested my source water but I suspect it’s pretty low TDS as my DI resin seems to last forever.

I would actually just reach out to one of our sponsors, Air Water Ice, as they have always been great at answering questions and can put together a recommendation for you based on the water quality report you have.  BRS could do it, too, but going with a club sponsor is always a good thing.  ?