Need recommendations: Ro/Di storage

I dont have room for a brute trashcan. Something is leaching Ammonia in my RO/DI storage setup and I suspect it's my storage containers. I need suggestions for pins totes in the 15-25 gallon volume range that are safe for RO/DI storage.

When was the last time you changed your carbon blocks in your RO unit? I suspect you need to swap to chloromine specialized carbon blocks

Edited by sethsolomon

7 hours ago, sethsolomon said:

When was the last time you changed your carbon blocks in your RO unit? I suspect you need to swap to chloromine specialized carbon blocks

A month ago

1 hour ago, davelin315 said:

Wow thats expensive but I like it. Theres no TS on island unfortunately. I also don't think itd fit the space I have. 

5 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

if you are not using a chloramines specific block, that's about right for you needing a new filter already.   BRS made a video on this.  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-chloramine-carbon-block/

Its weird because I went 6 months + between changing carbon in Florida and I was running RO to my ice maker and drinking water and RO/DI for regular water changes and top off and did not have this issue. 

The guy from BRS said I could run 3 DI stages and eliminate Ammonia that way if its truly coming from the tap. 

1 minute ago, jason the filter freak said:

Its weird because I went 6 months + between changing carbon in Florida and I was running RO to my ice maker and drinking water and RO/DI for regular water changes and top off and did not have this issue. 

The guy from BRS said I could run 3 DI stages and eliminate Ammonia that way if its truly coming from the tap. 

I would run an ammonia test on your tap water and see what it comes in at.  and then test the output of your RO/DI direct from the unit, and then test the water in the current storage container.  Compare the 3 results and see what you get.  my bet is direct from the RO unit and the water in the container will be the same.

@sethsolomon ITS MY M***********G salt mix Im soooo livid. 

Tap water Ammonia = 0

Water from RO/DI Ammonia = 0

Water from RO/DI water storage container Ammonia = 0

Water from RO/DI water storage container poured into the same 7 gallon instant ocean bucket i've been using for 10-15 years to mix make up water Ammonia = 0

Water in above said bucket after mixing in 3 cups of salt into 5 gallons of water Ammonia = .25-.3 tested with both an API test kit and a Tropic Marin test kit. 

Tank water Ammonia = .2ish ( I had just done a number of large changes over the last week to try and drive the ammonia down till I could figure out what the source was)

Reef Crystals from a box I bought a month or two ago. I opened a whole new 50 gallon bag just to retest after getting an elevated reading of the bag that was already opened.