30 Gallon Tall Start Up

AHarp

Tank: 30 gallon tall tank

Filter: Penguin Biowheel 350

Light: Cheapo LED

Stocking: One ocellaris clown, three narcissus snails, and a couple of reef hermit crabs that snuck in on live rock.

So far this is very bare bones (obviously). It’s running currently as a FOWLR tank. I’m hoping to eventually make it a reef tank. I have another 110 gallon tank at my elementary school that I’d like to make into a reef tank. I figured I could start small here at home and get the basics down so I will (hopefully) make less mistakes in the big show tank at school. There’s certainly a fair bit I need to update before I can make this 30 gallon into a reef tank. 

The fact that the tank is a tall tank will hamper my ability to grow coral due to the lighting not penetrating all the way to the bottom. I’m planning to use live rock to build up “shelves” on the walls to get some corals up to the light, and then underneath towards the bottom of the tank, I can do some leathers and other lower light corals. 

Right now, I’m looking for advice on what to update to get to a reef-ready aquarium. I don’t want to rush too quickly into anything; I want to make sure that what I wind up with is a good, sturdy set up that will last. Aside from building up experience for the show tank, I want to build a nice tank that my family and I can enjoy for a good long time. 

My priority list is:

1. Circulation- I’m thinking a Hydor Koralia 565 GPH. I’m not sure if I will need one or two. For now, at least, I think I should be fine with one and then when I begin adding coral I can determine if I need more. This is first on my list because it’s not particularly expensive and I should be able to get it right away.

2. Lighting- I know that I will need to update the light, before I even attempt corals. I’m considering a Finnex Marine+ because I have a Finnex Planted+ for my freshwater tank. I like it very much, especially the automatic 24 hour cycle, and it’s within my budget for sure. I'm not positive, though, if it will be enough for end goal of a reef tank.

3. Sump- I do have some space in the stand that I could put a sump into. But then I’d have to either drill the tank or use a pump to bring the water to the sump. If I can, I think I’d rather stick with a HOB filter. 

Questions for the community:

How is my priority list? What am I leaving out?

Is having a sump absolutely necessary? Would it be possible to run a reef tank with a hang on back filter? 

FTS with Clowns(1).JPG

• 1 month later...

I'm still very much a beginning reefer.  I'll give my opinions:

First, dimensions are 24 inches x 12 inches x 24 inches?   

The main difference between a reef tank and a FOLWR is basically the inhabitants.   Technically, a number of benthic (non-moving) non-fish inhabitants could make it a reef (sponges, tunicates, corals etc) but for our purposes we're talking about corals.

So that leads to the question:  what corals do you want to keep in the end.   Lighting, flow, etc will derive from that.  

IMO, if you're starting out, zoanthids or soft corals would be best.   

Were that the case, I think a simple light would work.  I'm not an LED expert, but Dr. Mac (a forum sponsor) recommends this LED, which IMO is fairly reasonably priced. 

https://pacificeastaquaculture.com/products/copy-of-ocean-revive-artic-t247-led-light-fixture

For flow, I'd go with two.   You don't need to set them at 100%, you can use them both at 50% and get the same amount of flow in different directions which will be better.   That Koralia might be a older technology, non controllable pump, (I apologize I'm not familiar with their product lines) I might get one of their DC pumps which is controllable and can put out more random flows than the simple pump.   Hydor makes DC pumps; I use the Jebao OW series (copies of the Hydors from the same factory) which come with a controller.   

Finally, as far as filtration goes, I think an HOB external filter will do fine; a sump isn't necessary, just sometimes a convenient place to put stuff (like a skimmer, heaters, biomedia, etc.) and get a bit more aquarium capacity.   You might also want to try a small canister filter (same basic idea as a sump, just in a less fancy and more compact media-only-package)

Anyway, just a few opinions.   I'll keep watching your thread, hopefully something I can say will be useful for you.  (and correct....lol....). :O

Out of curiosity.... Is there any reason you're sticking with the 30 tall?

I only ask because I started with a 20 tall. It was the worst tank I've ever owned. You can get a 20 long or a 40 breeder at Petco during their sale for $20/$50 respectively.

Additionally, I'm a big fan of jebao/jecod powerheads... Theyre no vortechs but they're adjustable and inexpensive. They also have return pumps, if you decide on a sump (so convenient).

Also, if you're not sold on a sump (they're not for everyone). Check out fijicube. They make all-in-one inserts for a lot of different tanks.

Par38 bulbs and aquaknight fixtures are budget friendly and have been highly recommended before. I have no experience with either but the aquaknight (called something else on Amazon) gets great reviews.

@KingOfAll_Tyrants That light looks perfect. I hadn't considered the ability to control the pump. I'll check out jebao! I would like to use a sump, for the same reasons you suggested; I'm just nervous about drilling the glass.

@ImGoingCoastal I'm not thoroughly excited about the 30 tall. I don't like the footprint and the height. It's the tank I have, though, and I've been issued a moratorium by my wife on buying any new tanks. :) That being said, she has a friend who is trying to give away what I think is a 55 gallon. If I can talk her into letting me take that, I'll switch it over. I'd much rather have the bigger footprint and volume. In the meantime, I'll check out fijicube and the light fixtures.

Thank you both! I'll keep updating when there's updates to be had. :)

Oh, and the Chinese black box lights (anything listed at 165W on Amazon, eBay, etc) work too.

*Edit* Just realized your tank is already wet, don't think fijicube would be an option.

CPR and AquaC make HOB skimmer/fuges... basically a HOB Sump.

yeah I'd be nervous about drilling glass in an active tank as well!

Honestly, IMO, if you want to drill the tank, get a new one.  I'd recommend at last a 40B at Petco, which if their $1/gal sale is going will get you a new 40 breeder for a bit more than a $100, including stand.   

Thanks! I'm messaging with him now about the light. I'm mostly worried about drilling glass, whether or not it's full of water. : ) I don't want to crack anything! If I do get the 55 though, I'll have to really consider it. It would be really nice to have a sump, for the extra volume and space for equipment. 

All good advice. I’d say wait for the next tank to get a sump. I ran an old bio cube 14 with fluorescent lighting, and kept softies alive just fine. I see your in MD, or at least sporting the flag. If you want to give some easy corals ago, stop on by and I’ll hook you up free of charge.

@YHSublime That would be awesome! I'll definitely be waiting for a bigger tank to do a sump. Once I get a better light going, I'll have to find a time to make it down your way!