What kind of tank fits here?

Steve G

Planning a new in-wall project and I need help deciding where to cut the hole in the wall and what size tank to put there. 

As you can see from the attached pic, the viewing room and fish workroom are not very well lined up. Also, the only possible entrance to the workroom limits where I can place the tank. (Don't worry, I'll figure out what to do about a door. That's not my concern).

One option is to slide the (rectangular) tank down toward the corner of the viewing room but I fear it won't be a good viewing experience.  The other thought I had was to get a custom (acrylic) tank that cuts the corner as shown in the pink shape in the pic.

Also, I have no idea where to shop for tanks. Any and all advice appreciated!!

Steve

Displaying IMG_0372.JPG

Picture is not working.

My other idea is to find a builder who will make a custom tank with a notch, something like this:

60"

|                                                                    |

|                                                                    | 12"

|                                                                    |___________

|                                                                                       |  12"

|________________________________________________|

72"

Is that a hard thing to get? Who makes tanks like that?

Personally I wouldn’t do the notch. It’s going to be super hard to clean or plan for flow. I would cut the biggest hole in the wall above the bar and put in the biggest tank you can and just frame the opening. Then go as deep as you can into the fish room. 

Personally I wouldn’t do the notch. It’s going to be super hard to clean or plan for flow. I would cut the biggest hole in the wall above the bar and put in the biggest tank you can and just frame the opening. Then go as deep as you can into the fish room. 

That’s what I would have done except to be able to enter the workroom you have to slide the tank into the corner, which is not ideal for viewing the front display.

Planning a 150g in wall project.

What about moving the door to the wall to its right and closing off the door?  I know that’s not the best idea or the cheapest but will allow you do center the tank properly. 

A custom tank will be much more expensive and harder to sell down the road. You could move the door out towards the hallway and flush with the walll shared with the bar. You could also make the door open out towards the hall. Like epleeds, I would prefer centering the tank as much as possible.

It doesn’t matter what I do with the door. I can remove the door altogether. With a standard rectangular tank, the entry to the room is blocked. 

Can u come into the room from a different side?  What is to the right of the door?  Can you access the fish room from that side if you cut another door. 

Some utility closets have a lot of extra space.  What about creating an entryway to the fish room via the utility room and closet? 

Hmm. That actually could work. I don’t know how well that entryway would work but I could close off the current entry and slide the tank closer to the middle of the viewing room and make it a corner in-wall. Intriguing!

I meant that if you can create a new entryway into the room, it doesn't matter if you block the original doorway.

Right. I need to quote original so it’s clearer which suggestion I’m replying to.

Can u come into the room from a different side?  What is to the right of the door?  Can you access the fish room from that side if you cut another door. 

To right of the door is a bathroom. Redoing that would cost way more (in money and my wife’s good will) than any custom tank, so it’s not an option.

I will think about Jon Lazar’s suggestion of cutting wall next to utility closet and turning that other closet into an entryway. It might be too small but worth considering.

8 minutes ago, epleeds said:

15 minutes ago, Jon Lazar said:

Some utility closets have a lot of extra space.  What about creating an entryway to the fish room via the utility room and closet? 

7 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Hmm. That actually could work. I don’t know how well that entryway would work but I could close off the current entry and slide the tank closer to the middle of the viewing room and make it a corner in-wall. Intriguing!

Here's another variation on the theme.  I'm guessing the room is on the ground elevation.  What about adding an exterior door from the tank room to outside?  That would create a "mother-in-law suite", which might increase your house value.  At least that's how I would pitch it!  Not sure if a walk-out door makes sense without knowing your home's plan view.

Here's another variation on the theme.  I'm guessing the room is on the ground elevation.  What about adding an exterior door from the tank room to outside?  That would create a "mother-in-law suite", which might increase your house value.  At least that's how I would pitch it!  Not sure if a walk-out door makes sense without knowing your home's plan view.

Clever but I don’t think it will work. It would require excavation and there are legal reasons I can do anything to that side of the house.

Here is a photo of the more realistic entryway to create but I’m not sure there is enough clearance between the bar and the utility closet to make it viable. 26” at most. 8b1935fbd64553c44d299253a163c864.jpg

This is how I access the area behind my tank. I have all my equipment back here. It’s an area under the stairs I have turned into my “fish room”. It’s only a 4’ door but opens into an area where I can stand up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is how I access the area behind my tank. I have all my equipment back here. It’s an area under the stairs I have turned into my “fish room”. It’s only a 4’ door but opens into an area where I can stand up. 
image.thumb.jpg.df6e2713a1ce53787890565b232bc643.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.e605184356d3a317093b29eacd0e44b4.jpg

Nice! But how do you get equipment into and out of the room?