New Mixed Reef Planning Equipment List (long)

Lukeewh

Hey all,

As I noted in my introduction thread, I finally got permission from the boss to put together a new tank after about 7 years out of the hobby. I got rid of EVERYTHING when we moved to NOVA, so I'm starting from scratch here. Come January 1, I'm going to start pulling pieces together, so thought I would put my equipment plans and list up here to get a few sets of eyes on it and make sure I'm not missing anything. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Plan is for a broadly mixed reef, Im not really into collecting corals, as much as setting up a nice layout and letting it grow in.

Water and Storage:

2 x 20 Gallon Brute Trashcans with dollies for Saltwater and RODI storage -

- Anyone with experience with these know if they will successfully take bulkheads so I can plumb them for easy fill/refill and water changes?

Marine Depot 4 stage 100GPD RO/DI system with pressure gauge and inline TDS meter

50w heater and koralia nano powerhead for mixing saltwater

Red Sea Reef Salt

Python 50' vacuum/water change tubing

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 200XL - New 2020 model - I chose this as it's slightly larger than the classic 170 reefer, and has a few new features that aren't included in the 170, including a 'Y' return nozzle, an adjustable skimmer section in the sump, and leveling feet so I don't have to shim the cabinet. 43G Tank comes with overflow and return plumbing, 11G sump and 1.8G mechanical ATO which I plan to turn into a refugium down the road. Tank Dimensions are 24x21x22

Cover - Need to find this, but It may be tricky with the 200XL being brand new.

Skimmer: RSK-300 - Red Sea Skimmer - this is new to market, but I get a good discount from Red Sea for buying the package and everything I've read about it says that it is a beast.

Light: Reefled 90 Red Sea App controlled LED lighting. - I've heard the equipment is great, but the app kinda sucks. Hopefully Red Sea will release some adjustments to the software that streamlines everything.

ATO - XP Aqua Duetto dual sensor ATO

Flow Pumps: TBD - between 2 controllable powerheads in anti-sync (Tunze) or a Maxspect Gyre 330 w/controller, this is down to how life works out and I think both options will work fantastically.

Return pump: Hydor Seltz - D 750 - 750 max gph controllable AC pump.

Heater: Inkbird (Green) controller and 200W titanium BRS heater  - this controller allows for the addition of a chiller downstream if needed, although we keep the house at 70 year round, so I'm hoping that's not an issue.

Dry Rock - 40 lbs Coralife Life Rock

Sand - 30lbs Tropic Eden Reef Flakes

Doser:  To be added down the road as I determine dosing requirements for this tank

Controller: Waiting to see the new Hydros 4 controller and reviews before making any decision here. With most of my pieces coming with individual controllers, the aggregation and monitoring capabilities would be nice, but not something I'm ready to drop $1000 on an apex for. Having controlled devices is already lightyears ahead of what I used to do.

Testing: Hanna Meters for CA/Alk/Phosphate/ Salinity, and the Red Sea kits for the Nitrogen Cycle and MG.

I think that's it, Thanks for looking everyone, I'm really excited to get this going.

-Luke

1 hour ago, Lukeewh said:

Controller: Waiting to see the new Hydros 4 controller and reviews before making any decision here. With most of my pieces coming with individual controllers, the aggregation and monitoring capabilities would be nice, but not something I'm ready to drop $1000 on an apex for. Having controlled devices is already lightyears ahead of what I used to do.

Congrats on getting your new tank greenlighted, and kudos for planning things out in advance!  Do you have a fish list in mind yet?  

Also, I would reconsider a controller.  The ability to do conditions-based controlling and email alerts alone is worth it.  You can buy a used controller, display, temp probe, and outlet bar for under $300.  For example, there's a used Aquacontroller 3 brain for sale right now for $75.  (I'm still using an Aquacontroller 2 on one of my tanks.)

Thanks, I got the greenlight to do it, and to do it right this time.

Thanks for the guidance RE controllers, I really do want to go down that road, just not sure the investment is worth delaying the tank for.

I really like what I've seen so far of the new Coralvue Hydros 4 controller, with everything being Wifi connected, I have gigabit fiber and a mesh network at home so I can support the extra devices. Run it off an old dedicated ipad and my phone and go from there. I just need to wait and see what the final take is by the community before I drop $400 on it.

Congrats and good luck on the new setup. Planning and setting up is both fun and challenging :)

Congrats and nice equipment list.  I noticed you’re leaning towards Red Sea on a number of equipments.  If you are planning on utilizing them primarily, they are coming out with a gyre style powerheads soon (if not already available).  

One alteration I would make to your list is testing equipment.  I would only suggest Hanna for alkalinity and possibly phosphate as the calcium is a little too involved.  Salifert makes decent (precision good enough for our needs) kits That are reasonably priced. 

The Reefer 200XL will also include the usual gravity-fed ATO system which can be more reliable than some ATOs on the market.  I however don’t have personal experience with Aqua Duette, but that is an extra expense that can be avoided.

As for controllers, I’m also in the camp of must get, even if only for monitoring of the system.  I sure everyone here would suggest an Apex but after my experiences, I would go with GHL.  The ProFilux Mini that goes $240 and would include basic monitoring and controls.

Thanks, Made the changes to the testing equipment. CoralVue said the new Hydros 4 controller comes out March-June 2019, so Im going to hold on for that one. I figure If I stretch my cycle and stocking a couple months, I should be right in the zone when it's released.

Thanks Again!

I’m not a huge fan of the Red Sea skimmers but they do work pretty well.  The cups are by design difficult to remove as they include a wiper that you are supposed to use and a drain hose instead of having to remove the cup but I feel like a ton of stuff gets pushed back into the skimmer with this method as the neck gets coated with goop.

I like the Salifert and Red Sea titration tests myself and feel like the essentials are easy to use (Ca, Mg, and Alk).

For the lights it is a nice one but I am not a big fan of the blue tinge all the time and since they only have the two channels I feel they are not as tunable as other light brands.  That aside, the package deal is a pretty nice one and saves a bit of money.

As far as covers, their mesh kit will fit their tanks without an issue and are pretty sleek since they are designed for these tanks.  Nice low profile and barely any sticks out with the way their brackets are designed.

For controllers, I kind of feel you need to be a controller type of person to want one.  Personally I don’t like relying on too much automation so have never used one but that in and of itself could be something that would change if I were to ever get one.

For the ATO, their reservoirs are a bit small but if you have it topping off automatically that should not be an issue.  If you are planning on using it as a refugium unless they have changed them significantly I think they are overall pretty shallow.  I use one as a low tech paludarium but only keep about 2” of water in at at any time, usually a little less.