My New JBJ Picotope

Oprah Wrangler

Hello all who find this...

I am new to saltwater and decided I would break the rules and go nano. So my choice of poison has been the JBJ Picotope. It is a mini 3 gallon bowfront. It has been running for 4 months now and seems to be doing great. My filter is a small HOB that came with the unit and I added a aquaclear 10 powerhead that is on a timer coming on and going off every 15 minutes. It has a little hydor heater that keeps at a comfy 82 degrees. The light is a corallife fixture I got off of ebay and has a 10k daylight bulb and an actinic bulb. It has 6lbs of live sand and 3lbs of live rock that I purchased from ebay also. The live rock was actually refugium rubble that I super glued together. I do about a 2000ml water change every 3 to 4 days and replace it with a synthetic salt mix, swapping that out once a month for seawater I purchased a my LFS. (read it was good for trace elements) I test for NH3, NO2, NO3, & pH everyother day and check my S.G. (1.026) and salinity (35%) daily.

My Inhabitants so far:

1 Artemia snail (or at least I think that is waht they are called)

4 Margarita Snails

6 Nassarius Snails

4 Tiny Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

1 Skunk Cleaning Shrimp

1 Clownfish

1 Feather Duster Worm

1 Unconfirmed Frogspawn Coral (please help confirm I.D.)

a touch of Green Caulpera and Red Grape Caulpera

So I think that is all the technical stuff. If I have missed anything please feel free to ask and I will try to answer as best as I can. I am open to all advise and suggestion on improving things or on future coral choices. I am also trying to figure out a good way to fassion a canopy top for this tank. Here is an attempt at photos...I hope you enjoy.

ok so I dont think I am smart enough to figure out the posting pictures thing so any help would be welcome with this matter as well

How did you try to post the pic?

Or where is it hosted?

Did you try setting up your own gallery here?

Dave

How did you try to post the pic?

Or where is it hosted?

Did you try setting up your own gallery here?

Dave

I tried pulling them from a file on my computer. I am new to this forum stuff and just got my memeber status upgraded so i did not know about making my own gallery. Would you be able to help me wiht this?

Yeah (and I'm begining to think it should be a sticky)...

1) Got to your "My Controls" you should see this towards the top of the page.

2) On the left hand side of the menu you should see a "My Albumns" Click that link

3) You should see a link to create an album (do so)

4) Once created you should see it, and then you can select upload a picture

5) Once picture is uploaded go to it... The URL can be gotten from the picture.

6) Put that URL in image tags (or hit the little picture of a tree button in the reply) area

Dave

Yeah (and I'm begining to think it should be a sticky)...

1) Got to your "My Controls" you should see this towards the top of the page.

2) On the left hand side of the menu you should see a "My Albumns" Click that link

3) You should see a link to create an album (do so)

4) Once created you should see it, and then you can select upload a picture

5) Once picture is uploaded go to it... The URL can be gotten from the picture.

6) Put that URL in image tags (or hit the little picture of a tree button in the reply) area

Dave

So I have been getting this message meaning I am clearly doing something wrong

Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed

What does it mean? :why:

Yeah....

I'm looking into to doing some programing to add a link to add a picture from your gallery quickly and easily, but it ain't going to be done tommorow.

Dave

Yeah....

I'm looking into to doing some programing to add a link to add a picture from your gallery quickly and easily, but it ain't going to be done tommorow.

Dave

I cant thank you enough for your help. "Your a good man Charlie Brown"

Andre,

Your tank is awesome sir! Great show of colors and I believe your coral id is a Hammer Coral also.

Be careful you don't get direct sunlight on your tank, the temperature will shoot through the roof! :(

Andre,

Your tank is awesome sir! Great show of colors and I believe your coral id is a Hammer Coral also.

Be careful you don't get direct sunlight on your tank, the temperature will shoot through the roof! :(

Thank you very much sir. It means alot to hear that, being new to this and all. I have my heater on a timer with my lights. Lights on heater off. So the tank lights and room temp keep the tank at about 80-81 degree farenheight and I use my heater to support the norm when temps drop at night. So far so good. thanks for I.D.ing that coral for me. My LFS is great but can seem a little off at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's cool. Now I want one . . is the HOB and Aquaclear PH enough for circulation? What is the wattage on the lighting unit and what is the model number? Great photos. Where's the shrimp?

Do i see 83.5 on your temp gauge?

Do i see 83.5 on your temp gauge?

Yup, it hangs around 82-83 degrees F. Is that way to high? My fish seems to love it and my hammer as actually split, reproduced, cloned what ever term is used when it grows. Everything in the tank is thriving. I am considering adding another clown but I am really torn between a blue damsel or a pipe fish. I will have to do some research and decide.

Wow, that's cool. Now I want one . . is the HOB and Aquaclear PH enough for circulation? What is the wattage on the lighting unit and what is the model number? Great photos. Where's the shrimp?

The HOB and Aquaclear PH are making some rather significant waves. I believe the daylight bulb is a 9 watt 10,000K and the actinic is 9 watts aswell. The shrimp stay on the backside of the rock work but I have recently made some aquascape changes to see if he might stay more visable.

I hat eposting negative comments, but this will be one. And it is only my two cents worth, so YYMV. I would definitely say no to the damsel. It will terrorize anything and everything you put in there and can grow to 4 inches (I had one, ask Edward). I would also say no to a pipefish. I think you need like 6 inches of DSB for one of those to be truly happy (as far as I know about them, there are hundreds of varieties). I would recommend against another clown. The first may or may not like #2. If no (more likely), there will be constant battles and peace will be gone. Furthermore, you will eventually need to part with the present clown fish. Clowns can grow to 4 inches as well and your picotope is too small for that. I would recommend maybe a yellow clown goby. Very cute and lots of personality. I have two :)

Your temp is ok. The water changes are key. That is probably why the stuff is doing so well. Good job! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hat eposting negative comments, but this will be one. And it is only my two cents worth, so YYMV. I would definitely say no to the damsel. It will terrorize anything and everything you put in there and can grow to 4 inches (I had one, ask Edward). I would also say no to a pipefish. I think you need like 6 inches of DSB for one of those to be truly happy (as far as I know about them, there are hundreds of varieties). I would recommend against another clown. The first may or may not like #2. If no (more likely), there will be constant battles and peace will be gone. Furthermore, you will eventually need to part with the present clown fish. Clowns can grow to 4 inches as well and your picotope is too small for that. I would recommend maybe a yellow clown goby. Very cute and lots of personality. I have two :)

Your temp is ok. The water changes are key. That is probably why the stuff is doing so well. Good job! :)

Bio, that wasn't negative, just some advice, based on your knowledge. and you phrased it in a very polite way. that's what we're about! :)

i 2nd the goby!! or a watchman. you will have to watch the water params, it is only a 3 gallon after all. more than 1 fish will be a challenge.

i love your setup!

what kind of salt mix are you using? if it's a good marine aquarium salt mix, you shouldn't need to use natural sea water, the salt mix will have everything you need in it.

more pics! :fish:

Guest mightymouse

Bio, that wasn't negative, just some advice, based on your knowledge. and you phrased it in a very polite way. that's what we're about! :)

i 2nd the goby!! or a watchman. you will have to watch the water params, it is only a 3 gallon after all. more than 1 fish will be a challenge.

i love your setup!

what kind of salt mix are you using? if it's a good marine aquarium salt mix, you shouldn't need to use natural sea water, the salt mix will have everything you need in it.

more pics! :fish:

get one of the green clown gobys max out at an inch and look cool hoppin from rock to rock

• 3 months later...

Papabear, you still around???

I had to take my dog to the animal hospital this past weekend when I saw a tank that looked like something I've seen posted online before. :D

Came back to search the site and sure nuff', this has to be the same tank! What a coincedence.

• 3 weeks later...

Papabear, you still around???

I had to take my dog to the animal hospital this past weekend when I saw a tank that looked like something I've seen posted online before. :D

Came back to search the site and sure nuff', this has to be the same tank! What a coincedence.

I am sorry it took so long to reply, I havent been in to this area of the site in a long while. Was the hospital you went to The Regional Vet Referral Center? There is a 24 hour ER there. If so then it was my tank you saw. I work there. Thats cool. What did you think?

Is this your tank? :biggrin:

158737387781_3300.jpg

I took it with my camera phone so it doesn't look too great. Went there cuz my pug had mast cell tumors that had to be removed. :(

Here he is the day after the surgery.

6dcddcb9.jpg