Closed Loops

cpeguero

Hi all!

Anyone on here have experience with closed loops? I’m planning a 260 gallon build with 2 closed loops. Any advice on intake/return placement and/or do’s and don’ts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why closed loop?

with all the new pumps out there, not sure why it would be an advantage to go that way now.

I’m doing a closed loop to keep the tank looking tidy. I don’t want any power cords going into the tank and want to keep exposed plumbing to a minimum.

I have to echo Milton on this.  Closed loops are less efficient than powerheads and will require substantial plumbing, drilling of numerous holes in the tank, and a fair amount of space for the pumps and plumbing leading to them (which all comes with their own set of problems).

My advice would be to use LOTS of unions and ball valves, and use loc-lines to provide a little flexibility on return flow direction.  To keeping everything tidy and keep plumbing hidden, utilize the back and bottom panels of the tank whenever possible as the rock work will be able to hide the bulkheads/strainers.

People don't want to drill holes and don't want to have to use a secondary device to alternate flow when there are now controllable powerheads. Still, those powerheads are not as configurable as a well-designed closed loop when it comes to directing flow to specific areas. They are used more in large (hundreds of gallons) tanks, but can still be useful in smaller tanks depending on the desired effect, especially getting flow to area powerheads can't go.

Already have my pumps - an abyzz a100 and red dragon 80w.

Was planning to keep my bulkheads near the top of the tank and run pipe down the back to where I need it. I’m somewhat paranoid about having a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank and having to drain the tank completely if something goes wrong.

Was definitely going to use locline to direct flow around. I’ll probably split the return from each closed loop into at least 2 outlets. Not sure if exact placement yet, but likely will run at least one towards the front of the tank on the bottom. I’ll plan to hide the pipe with rock and/or sand.

If you want outputs on the bottom and have a sand bed, you can hide the pipes by coating any possible exposed part in clear silicone then rolling in clean sand to cover it. Peels off pretty easy if you don't like it or want to re-used the pieces.

Why don’t you look into building a box on the side of the tank to house your pumps in and run the pipe along the side of the aquarium. 

To me a closed loop should be done on the bottom or back and all hidden. If your running pipes down the back and over the sides it’s kinda defeating the point. 

Fair point. I won’t be running anything over the top. Tank builder is going to drill holes, they’re just going to be near the top. That way, if there is a failure, I just need to drain down a few inches. Pipes will be hidden by rock and sand

That is really going to restrict the areas where you can put outputs which kinda defeats the point in a closed loop but I guess you could make it work. You will just have all your flow coming from select areas and the piping is going to limit what your rockwork will be. 

13 hours ago, cpeguero said:

Fair point. I won’t be running anything over the top. Tank builder is going to drill holes, they’re just going to be near the top. That way, if there is a failure, I just need to drain down a few inches. Pipes will be hidden by rock and sand

I see where you’re going with this but in all honesty, (if what I am picturing is correct) powerheads will be a better bet.  It’s just that if you’re going to start running piping throughout the interior of the tank, you’ll be better off with a couple powerheads in the same spacing. Those pre-drilled holes can be used exclusively as returns from the sump.

But advice for your current plan would be to not cement the intake pipes that will be inside the tank.  That way you will be able to direction the intake to where it is best suited to reduce stagnant areas (both intake and return will essentially produce water movement).

Thanks for all the input. What I’m hearing, if I understand correctly, is that if I’m going to do the closed loop, i should just go ahead and put the intakes and returns wherever they need to go, not keep them at the top of the tank.

Am I being too paranoid about leaks? I’ve never had a real failure of a bulkhead (just one or two slow seeping ones in 14 years of reefing), and haven’t really heard of any from a closed loop, just afraid of one....