55g Reef tank placement

Guest Rileyporter

Guest Rileyporter

I am new to this hobby but have always wanted to do it! I recently moved to Silver Spring MD and live in a 2 story home. I have a 55g upstairs right now and just wanted to make sure that the weight wasnt going to be an issue? I mean I didnt think about it until it was prettymuch all setup. Its upstairs right now just wanted the 2cents from the pros.

Thanks alot

Riley

I am new to this hobby but have always wanted to do it! I recently moved to Silver Spring MD and live in a 2 story home. I have a 55g upstairs right now and just wanted to make sure that the weight wasnt going to be an issue? I mean I didnt think about it until it was prettymuch all setup. Its upstairs right now just wanted the 2cents from the pros.

Thanks alot

Riley

You can gauge it roughly to 8 pounds per gallon. Thats not including all the other sand, and live rock and all theother equipment you will have also. So 55 gallons just water would be around 440 lbs but that is only water.

Guest Rileyporter

You can gauge it roughly to 8 pounds per gallon. Thats not including all the other sand, and live rock and all theother equipment you will have also. So 55 gallons just water would be around 440 lbs but that is only water.

Hmm I have no idea of the recommended weight limitations of the 2nd story. Anyone have a rough guess?

Riley

Hmm I have no idea of the recommended weight limitations of the 2nd story. Anyone have a rough guess?

Riley

A 55g is fine on the 2nd storry. they arent that heavy. think about it. A house is made to carry many people. Do you think that your guest are going to go through the floor? If so i would worry, if not your all good.

A 55g is fine on the 2nd storry. they arent that heavy. think about it. A house is made to carry many people. Do you think that your guest are going to go through the floor? If so i would worry, if not your all good.

I have two 55gallon tank within 20 feet of each other on my middle floor and have no worries. I have a 220gallon tank that is in the basement. That tank is about a ton full with sand and water...

Hey Riley,

Glad to see you made it here!! I really wouldnt worry about it. You saw our place- its pretty old and there are people living beneath us. Anyways, when i asked our rental agency they told me it wasnt a problem (and at the time i was asking about a 90 gallon plus 30 gallon sump). I would try to align it perpendicular to the joists next to a load bearing wall if possible.

Also, you might want to check up on renters insurance- not so much for it falling through the floor, but also in case it springs a leak. For us, it was really cheap and was worth the peace of mind.

mike

• 2 weeks later...