sanding if painting/skinning

treesprite

I really hate sanding. My question is, how much do I really need to sand the bare stand  if I am: 1. using paint not stain; and 2. covering the stand with stuff that doesn't require sanding?

There's no requirement to sand clean, bare wood before painting or staining.

Sanding removes dirt and other contaminants from the surface of the wood; creates the right amount of texture for paint to mechanically adhere; and, smooths down stray wood fibers. 

If you want something functional and don't need a high-quality finish, skip the sanding.

This is good stuff to hear, thanks. I'm worried some bunch of people will post that I have to ultra fine sand like I did when I used stain and polyurethane.

I was already almost done with the medium grade before posting. The color of the wood is lighter just after medium grade, so it was definitely needed even if just to remove warehouse dirt.

I decided to make removable panels instead of an attached skin. I put frames of 1x2s on the backsides of Wainscot panels to make them fit nicely snug into the stand front and the stand ends, but I forgot to allow for the thickness of paint, so I may find myself having to sand down some edges. After that is done, I'll get some moulding trims. Those things are rediculously expensive, so if anyone has suggestions regarding the mouldings, please share them. The paneling is MDF, so I know I can't miss any spots when doing my waterproofing and painting.

I can't do anymore work on the stand until probably Friday, because there is just too much else going on.

Pics of the panels. Still have to waterproof and paint. I'll paint with same dusky blue color I used on the other stands I have (2 are pre-made ones that needed re-painting, and the third one is something I put together from scraps to have a place for electrical stuff that would also fit my 12g Aquapod on top).

IMG_20190928_115339.thumb.jpg.a24cd3e8028e04e67c3f0a8a547c8c95.jpg

IMG_20190928_115703.thumb.jpg.60334b8a63cf56176d06dcf910c84840.jpg

Edited by treesprite