Diatoms

Joshifer

i tried googling it didn’t get any answers. 

If I black the tank out to kill the diatoms forming on my back wall which is white. Will their death cause ammonia spikes? 

No livestock. Tanks only been running 3 days. 

I think their diatoms theirs more today then their was last night. And my eyes aren’t what they used to be. Maybe hitch hikers those little swirl shell thingys?. I can’t seem to get a good pic my cameras not very good. 

I do not have a test kit yet but I’m not using food for ammonia. and I used RODI water. the rock I used came from a display case at LFS

Edited by Joshifer

Welcome back. Your tank is 3 days old, remember, nothing good happens fast.

Wait on your test kits. Let your tank go through the Nitrogen Cycle.

Diatoms on the 3rd day of your cycle are the absolute last thing you need to be concerned about.

Thanks. 

So their not diatoms. They’re those little crustation things that stick to the glass and build shells. I can’t remember the name 

I was only concerned about killing the diatoms and causing a huge spike and killing whatever’s in the rock.  But so far so good I’m seeing things growing even if their pests lol 

4 little hermit crabs came out of hiding today. I guess they were inside the rock theirs a huge hole in it. God knows what else is in there 

Edited by Joshifer

Diatoms are algae.  Photos would help but it’s possible that they’re some sort of tube worm.  Are they sessile or are they moving around the tank?  
Well regardless of what they are, killing them will not harm anything in the rock (assuming you're referring to the bacterial colony you’re trying to grow with the cycle process).  That’ll actually help as the bacteria you are trying to populate needs dead or decaying matter.  But before killing them, make sure that they are actually pests and not possibly beneficial.