Moving to area

Guest Misfit69

Guest Misfit69

Hey guys, found this forum through Reef Central and thought I would post my questions here. This seems like the right area to post, sorry if it's not. I posted this in the lounge in RC but this should be a more focused audience. ;)

Hey guys, there is a 95% chance we are moving to the Annapolis Junction, Maryland area. At least that is where the partners new job is going to be. I am guessing it will take place in the next couple of months. Brandi hates the job here and it looks like she will be offered a job down there. Any info on the area would be appreciated. I grew up in the Mount Vernon - Alexandria area but moved in 88 and I know a lot has changed. We have started looking for some houses online already but don't really know the areas to look right now. How bad is the traffic in this area? Is if far enough from Baltimore and DC to make it not so bad or is it close enough to the two to make it a nightmare? How about the crime? I will also post this in any Balt. DC forums I can find in the club area of RC after this.

Just looking for any input on the area that anybody has to offer.

Thanks

Brian

I don't know where Annapolis Junction is, but I do know that Annapolis is a great place! We were there yesterday wandering around and it's a very fun place to go and visit. I don't know about living in that area, but I figure with the Naval Academy in that area, it can't be that bad.

Being a DC police officer I can say don't buy in most of DC yet, if you plan on children (DC schools put the special in special ed) mind being robbed, harrassed or having your car/house broken into. And even a pioneer house in the getto will cost 100s of Ks-but on the bright side you won't have to watch TV shows for entertainment-plenty of action on the streets to watch.

Alexandria Va is nice, good schools low crime rates good fish stores in the area.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Misfit69

It looks like we are 99% sure of the move now. I think I will be headed that way in 2 months or so.

It looks like we are 99% sure of the move now. I think I will be headed that way in 2 months or so.

Unfortunately, the good public schools in the tri-sate area are in Howard and Montgomery county, however along with that comes some of the higest housing costs in the United States. I find this club to be better organized than CMAS, or what ever it's called.

I heard 4 months back that real estate in Virginia is better than MD but that was right before all the supply of homes. MD seems like a cheaper choice for most people. Traffic sucks in both areas. I can't wait to leave one day!

I don't know where Annapolis Junction is, but I do know that Annapolis is a great place!

You would think that they are close together, but not really. Annapolis Junction is around 32 and the BW parkway. Closest communities that I am familiar with are Columbia and Ellicott City. I wouldn't recommend Northern Virginia, the commute would be pretty long although people do it.

Guest Rileyporter

Thanks for the input guys.

Vruab or Brian when I'm on my correct homekeys ;)

PM Sent

Guest Rivah Rat

I think alot is going to depend on exactly where you are going to work. If you are going to work in Annapolis than that is where you want to live. I work in DC and live in Calvert County. Personally I wouldn't have raised my kids anywhere else. JMO

Guest Misfit69

It looks like it's a done deal, she has a report date of Nov. 1st, I think. I think the job is in Annapolis Junction so I think we will be looking for housing in that area. The job gives her a house shopping trip so she is going to try to get that setup pretty soon.

Thanks again for the tips and help. It appears that both clubs in the area are well run and I look forward to participating down the road.

Brian