fish store

wirick21

Can anyone tell me if there is any good local stores besides marine scene? Because there prices are outragus and lately there selection has not been very good. Thanks Brian

Brian,

MS is in the top 2 or 3 in N.VA.  The Reef Tank (TRT) in Fairfax has slightly better prices, IMHO, but not as much tank space.  Exotic Equatics is near Baltimore the have LOADS of stuff, but not the place to save $.

What are you looking for?

Grav I am looking for other places to shop.  I know ms is a good store but I like to have other options. I am getting ready to set up a nano and a 120g tank with a 110g sump so I am trying to find a couple of stores to get some ideas for the tanks. I think I want to get into sps and clams and such.

Check out Roozens In FT wash MD

They are the biggest in the region.

They have 25,000 gals of saltwater tanks in a greenhouse. You have to buy carefuly as they ship a lot direct in from South Pacific and it may still be shocked from the trip, but the selection is without any peers in the region

A 120 with a 110 sump?  Wow, cool.

I'm starting to plan my big tank, was thinking a 150g and my wife now wants a nano.  

If you are looking for ideas gotta go to EA.  I wouldn't buy a whole lot there, they sell some SPS frags for $90, but they do have everything.  

http://www.exoticaquatics.com/

Roozens has loads of stuf too, but Nathan is right, be careful

Try looking here for a growing list of members willing to open their houses to show their tanks.

Consider showing yours and you will get menbers with experience come see what you have in mind.

They may have good advise and know other places to shop.

Grav and Nathen,

I went and checked out roozens they were great. You were right they had all kind of coral and fish. Grav 120g tank and the 110g sump will be about 6 months till I start to set it up. I have to save up the funds to set it up.  I am going to buld a coustom stand and canopy for it.  Then once I build the stand I will plumb it in. A one 150g sounds great maybe we can get together at the meating and talk about it.  My wife and I will both be there.  We both have a passion for reef tanks and need to learn alot more.

Thanks again

Brian

Brian,

For the tank only, you can try Superpets in Alexandria.  They have a fairly good selection, just avoid the livestock.

If you don't mind driving, the Aquarium Center in Randallstown (close to Baltimore) has probably the largest selection of tanks in stock anywhere around here.  I was just at Roozen over the weekend and they have many more than they used to, but still nowhere near the AC.

If you want an idea of requirements for clams, feel free to come by.  I have several.

Eddi

I agree with Eddi on the superpets front, some of their marine live stock looks rough, and service leaves a lot to be desired

There is a shop in Leesburg that has a few tanks in stock, can't remember the name, it's behind the home depot & the Outlets on Rt 15, he has some odd fish from time to time.

Aquarium Center in Randallstown has a great selection of fish, but their coral display tanks are a little on the crowded side, causing damage to each other.

Wally's has a quite a few tanks, and they have just got a new coral wholesaler.

HTH

Anton

BTW. is there a list of LFS's on the wamas website?

Brian,

I can recommend a couple of spots for my 1.5 year experience with Saltwater aquariums.

The Reeftank in Fairfax has good coral & fish prices, BEST pricing on LR & LS. They can order anything you want, ask for Mike on ordering. www.reefstore.com

MS has great selection and quality, but as you know at a premium price!

Roozens has an Awesome Selection of fish and LR as well in the area, but though I have never had a problem with them, talk says otherwise, so quarantine what you get.

Vienna Aquarium, just expanded out their store recently and selection is good but a tad like MS on pricing.

Petco in Tysons Corner has done very well for me on fish, BUT if "Jose" is not there when you choose your fish, don't buy! Remember to ask for him or leave!

Wally's  Aquarium in Annandale has a fair equipment selection, but not impressed with their livestock setups.

Outside of this and ebay, I can't recommend on others that I have not had the pleasure to work with.

Howard

Guest Moa
If in the Ft Washington area there is a new, small place: ultimate saltwater aquariums http://www.usaquariums.net.  I believe today they are adding soft corals and invertebrates to their store (don't know about selection) and have had fish for some time.  Have read that others have liked the store and its prices. I've found everyone there helpful.  A significant portion of their business seems to be setup and maintenance of tanks but seem to be expanding their offerings steadily. Regarding Roozens, their website lists some prices but when I was there last it seemed that there was some rather subjective pricing (i couldn't find prices printed for any of the livestock).  (The Moorish Idol in the tank next to LR is beautiful though.)

There is a shop in Leesburg that has a few tanks in stock, can't remember the name, it's behind the home depot & the Outlets on Rt 15, he has some odd fish from time to time.

Aquatic World, formerly Total Pets.

Guest reverai

>There is a shop in Leesburg that has a few tanks in stock, can't remember the name, it's behind the home depot & the Outlets on Rt 15, he has some odd fish from time to time.<

Yes! I can't remember their name either but for small store they have good selection and decent prices. I helped a friend who lives up there and we bought everything there but the tank. The kids there actually were helpful and didn't fail answering a single question I asked them and they were polite.

Steve

wirick- if both you and your wife have a passion for reef tanks, consider your self blessed, but you bank account cursed :)  My wife is very supportive, but thank goodness she isn't passionate about it.

I would like to thank everyone for the info!  I just bought my nano cube yesterday am going to start to set it up today.  Will post pic when I am done.

Thanks again

Brian