Waikiki Aquarium: New Exhibit Fund Raising

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89236

Waikiki Aquarium: Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Exhibit Fund Raising

The Waikiki Aquarium is planning a new exhibit to highlight the aquatic life found in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. This chain of islands, atolls and seamounts extends for approximately 1200 miles from Kauai, northwest to Kure Atoll. Recently designated as a national monument by President Bush, the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands represent the largest living coral reef region in the United States, and are home to wide variety of unique marine life.

Waikiki Aquarium staff have designed a 5000 gallon exhibit to feature some of the rare and endemic fish found in these waters. The exhibit will highlight rare and unusual marine fish such as Masked Angelfish (Genicanthus personatus), Japanese Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge interrupta), Morwongs (Cheilodactylus vittatus) and Bearded Armorheads (Evistias acutirostris).

The estimated total cost for this exhibit will be $225,000 US and donations (tax deductable) would be most welcome. Donations of $500-$4999 US will be recognized on a donor

I will pledge $100 to be designated from WAMAS for the exhibit.

Craig please let me know where to direct the funds so the club gets credit for my donation. Also, would it be possible for the officers to consider matching donations from members from club funds (up to some designated ammount to be determined by the offcers) in order to encourage other direct donations to this worthwhile cause?

BB

I briefly talked to copps last night about this. He will be passing through Waikiki in Oct. and can hand deliver a check - if we were to get donations gathered in time.

I have not had a chance to talk to all the officers to see what their thoughts are on this, as far as a method, or methods for collecting money. I also would like ideas from members on what your thoughts are on how we raise money.

a)

would it be possible for the officers to consider matching donations
Not sure what you mean by this. If you want officers to personally match donations from our own bank account, I don't think so - not made of money. - or did you mean that we would use club funds to match members personal donations up to dollar amount? - please clarify your idea.

moving forward on start of plan, the club members need to decide:

1) what is our goal - is it to donate minimum $500 to get wamas name on sign next to exhibit, or do we raise as much as we can up to date we all determine we should cut off raising funds.

2) What will be the method(s) for raising funds

a) raffle of donated frags and delbeek book

b) straight cash donations from members

c) other suggested options.

3) recognizing donors - I will ask John C. if he can get any details from Delbeek. On wamas end, we can create a webpage and put link on home page, on wamas web page we can list donors; can categorize by a level if you want too.

4) donating - I'll have to review by-laws to see about non-profit donating to another non-profit. Maybe it will be easier to have wamas gather checks made out to waikiki (will have John C. find out who we make check payable to out there) and then individuals who donate can get tax deduction on income tax if they use them - but we can send a wamas letter with all the checks asking that donation be recognized in name of wamas club.

all help is welcome

I was thinking matching funds or just a donation from WAMAS, not you personally. I think supporting something like this does fit within the charter of WAMAS for education and conservation.

I'm guessing with donations just ask for a check made out to the Waikiki aquarium and just note that the donation is from WAMAS in the memmo section. If we collect the checks and send them all together there shouldn't be a problem with getting the credit for the club. (That also eliminates the problem with keeping the monies separate from club funds.) As far as the cash goes, I guess you would have to deposit it into the club account and cut a check.

I will keep thinking on other ways to solicit donations for this project.

Craig, thank you for getting the wheels going on this. I've been friends with Charles Delbeek and introduced his speech at last year's MACNA. I also had Bruce Carlson over my house a couple of years ago, the ex-director of the Waikiki Aquarium now at the Georgia Aquarium. I always told Charles to let me know any way I could repay the favors he has done. For those of you who don't know, the Waikiki Aquarium is now over 100 years old, the third oldest in the US. I've always said it is an "aquarist's aquarium". There are no flipping dolphins or killer whales, but rather THE best tropical reef aquariums with uber-rare specimens that excite even the most seasoned hobbyists. Many hobbyists who visit Oahu enter the aquarium for $9 and ask for Charles Delbeek, one of the most notable voices and authors in the hobby, and end up getting a behind the scenes tour at no extra charge. Charles often drops whatever he's doing to do this. My last visit we talked for hours walking through every system.

I recently again mentioned to him any help I could offer after his years of giving, and he for the first time mentioned something... the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Exhibit. That was all he needed to do, and I pinged on a few people in the club including Craig regarding what we could do to contribute as a club. As Beltway Bandit mentioned above, I too will be contributing at least $100 personally, and am willing to brainstorm ideas to make this a win-win-win situation... win for the Waikiki Aquarium, win for WAMAS, and most of all, a win for the environment as aquariums like these are windows to an underwater world that very few people know about that is in need of protection. On top of education, the Waikiki Aquarium has successfully bred Genicanthus personatus, which will be the feature group of fish in the exhibit. I'll be visiting Oahu again in October and while Charles will not be on the island, I will get some hands-on regarding the exhibit and relay the info back.

My thanks in advance to all donors. It will be great for each of us to put a few drops in the bucket, and collectively as WAMAS put a few full cups in the bucket. :) I've gone back and forth quite a bit recently with Charles regarding this, so let me know if you have any questions...

Copps

Guest Larry-T

I like the idea of doing an online auction of donated livestock, etc... with the proceeds going to this cause.

• 1 month later...

Update,

We got a book signed by Delbeek & Sprung - their new one - while we were in Houston.

Would you all want us to raffle it off or auction it off to raise funds for this?