Pico Tanks

Anyone have any cool pico tanks that they’ve had running or are currently running? Looking for inspiration :-) include pic & description if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a fish-shaped jar thing at the craft store and bought it several months ago, because I thought it would be a cool pico. I don't have time to mess with it though. It holds about a gallon of water. I need to find out if it can be drilled, because if it can't, it isn't worth the $12 I paid for it.

I was looking for a picture online, and could only find an eBay item for it. The seller is in lala land trying to get 80 bucks for it: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-Fish-Shaped-Apothecary-Jar-Terrarium-Beta-Bowl-/231606832533?nav=SEARCH

I was looking for a picture online, and could only find an eBay item for it. The seller is in lala land trying to get 80 bucks for it: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-Fish-Shaped-Apothecary-Jar-Terrarium-Beta-Bowl-/231606832533?nav=SEARCH

Cute container but evaporation would be hard to manage. I’ll be starting a reef jar & 3 gallon aio style tank from CPR. I just want some inspiration for creatures and corals to keep.

I've always thought it'd be really cool to run an iced tea dispenser as a pico tank. If it didn't have any fish, you could keep it covered (either with the included top or saran wrap), reducing the evaporation to nearly 0. Cut a few very small holes in the top and run a small airstone or powerhead on its lowest setting and you're good to go for oxygenation. Use the spigot for water changes and keep easy corals. Maybe a small goby or clown if you go 5+ gallons and do regular water changes. 

Example: 

I myself am currently keeping a fluval spec v, which I think is a great little tank. It's well overstocked with a young clownfish pair, two gobies (randalls and tangaroa) and their pistol shrimp (tigers, and all 4 peacefully share the same large burrow) and a fire shrimp (plus cleanup crew). The only coral I have in there are some gsp and a pair of hammers that are all doing really well. I love that it's an aio/peninsula with a long, narrow profile (as opposed to tall). I had to upgrade the pump and make a few other modifications, but overall it's been a fun tank to have on my kitchen countertop.

I've always thought it'd be really cool to run an iced tea dispenser as a pico tank. If it didn't have any fish, you could keep it covered (either with the included top or saran wrap), reducing the evaporation to nearly 0. Cut a few very small holes in the top and run a small airstone or powerhead on its lowest setting and you're good to go for oxygenation. Use the spigot for water changes and keep easy corals. Maybe a small goby or clown if you go 5+ gallons and do regular water changes.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmYjFkKiYAE

I myself am currently keeping a fluval spec v, which I think is a great little tank. It's well overstocked with a young clownfish pair, two gobies (randalls and tangaroa) and their pistol shrimp (tigers, and all 4 peacefully share the same large burrow) and a fire shrimp (plus cleanup crew). The only coral I have in there are some gsp and a pair of hammers that are all doing really well. I love that it's an aio/peninsula with a long, narrow profile (as opposed to tall). I had to upgrade the pump and make a few other modifications, but overall it's been a fun tank to have on my kitchen countertop.

That’s funny because i saw an iced tea dispenser at dinner and thought exactly the same thing. Family laughed when i said so. They’re not fish people. I could get one but i already have 2 other nano tanks purchased and 3 million ideas for new ones. Would love to finally try a goby shrimp pair. Would like seriously light stock list though as the larger is 3 gallon and smaller is maybe 1? Idk. But i cant wait to try it out.

I had one with stand and sump. if I am not mistaken it was like 3/4 of a gallon.

Pico21.jpg

Pico%2015_zps845a3269.jpg

Pico20.jpg

Edited by Reefs

I had one with stand and sump. if I am not mistaken it was like 3/4 of a gallon.

WOW that looks so much bigger than 3/4 of a gallon!!!!!!

I have always wanted to do one as well, but lighting has always held me back..

Now that there are so many small LED options around, it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have always wanted to do one as well, but lighting has always held me back..

Now that there are so many small LED options around, it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just got a nano tide mini for the jar i will be doing. Nice light. Very strong too.