Bleaching favia - not sure what’s wrong

bues0022

I have a problem with a newish frag of Devil’s Eye Favia. It’s supposedto be dark purple with red eyes, but it’s been bleaching to a light lavender color. I have Radion LED on a 30 cube. I originally put the coral a little over half-way up facing directly up. About 2 weeks ago I moved it down because it was looking lighter, and now it just keeps getting lighter, even though I have it nearly in the bottom and half under an overhang. It gets medium flow most of the day. I’ve never had a favia before....will it take several weeks to begin darkening up? Maybe still needs even less light? Thoughts?

What percentage are u running the radion. Your probably giving it way to much light depending on what the lighting was in the previous tank.

I would move it down to a shaded corner of your tank to see if it recovers.

Also it would help to know what all your parameters are as well.

For the light power, I’m running the mode that looks like a bell curve, starting it I think at 11am or noon, and it ends completely at 10pm. I didn’t change any of the settings other than the time, and I’m not at home right now to connect in to see the exact power schedule. As far as paremeters go, I’m not really sure right now. I’m coming back after years off and my test kits were toast. I haven’t gotten anymore, and because of that I’ve been doing a lot of water changes to keep nutrients down. I’m running a filter sock to catch crud, and skimming rather wet. Other corals look happy (blasto, candy cane, birds nest, zoas), and inverts are doing well also.

I’m really leaning towards thinking I just bleached the snot out of it the first two weeks I had it up high, but I’m just not sure how long it’ll take for color to start coming back. I can find a lightly shaded corner to put it in with even lower light than where it’s at right now though.

It could take months to get back to normal. Just shade it and give it moderate flow. It should be fine as long as it’s not white

Not white. Lavender. I put it down on the sand bed under light shade in the corner. I didn’t realize it can take so long to color back up. Thanks for the help!

Check para. Lack of ca or alk could be off plus mg. As you move past birdsnest and trumpets probably need to watch them more carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk