Thinking about drilling my Acrylic tank

Neal

Hey Guys,

I have an 8 gallon cylinder nano tank. I am interested in adding a sump. Due to its round size I am not able to add a HOB overflow so I am thinking about drilling it from the bottom. I have never drilled an acrylic tank so this should be an interesting project.

Has anyone ever drilled an acrylic tank? If so do you have any lessons learned? Does anyone have any thoughts on what type of plumbing?

Are there any good acrylic places around where I can pick up supplies?

As for the tank I have attached a pic. As for the large amount of live rock in my system right now a lot of it is going to a friend of mine. I am looking to build a central tower look for the LR.

Thanks for the help....

Neal

post-933-1152881867_thumb.jpg

You can drill the tank with a regular hole saw. Nothing to it really. Just be sure as to where you want to drill. Supplies can be had in a number of locations around. There are two in Beltsville: 1) Precision Plastics 2) Capital Plastics.

In Baltimore there is Total Plastics Inc.

As was said... easy to drill with your cordless drill and a hole saw bit (obtained cheaply from Home Depot)...

Don't drill the bottom while its full of water :lol:

Dave

Thanks guys...

I will try and remember not to drill the full tank but my memory does slip from time to time.