Brown slime in water surface of saltwater container

razzpatazzz

I just noticed that the premixed saltwater started forming a sort of brown slime on the surface of the water. It was congealed on a powerhead cord so I skimmed that off along with whatever I could on the surface. What is the cause of this and how should I prevent it from happening again? Also do I throw away this saltwater now or do you think it'll be safe to use regardless? Thanks

Clay additive to keep the salt from clumping in the bag. It doesn't harm anything. I try not to stir my saltwater continuously while it's in the reservoir, but only turn on the pump for about 15 minutes every 24 hours to turn the water over some. That seems to help with the deposits somewhat.

Clay additive to keep the salt from clumping in the bag. It doesn't harm anything. I try not to stir my saltwater continuously while it's in the reservoir, but only turn on the pump for about 15 minutes every 24 hours to turn the water over some. That seems to help with the deposits somewhat.

Thank you very much for letting me know. I guess my old salt didn't contain any, since it's a new thing for me. I'll try turning the pumps off and see if that fixes it. Thank you