Newbie 265 Gallon Build

Started this new build recently.

Picked up a used 265 gallon system from the Richmond are several months ago that was in mint condition but included so many goodies at a great price I had to pick it up. The stand and canopy are custom and set up for an island DT. I always loved this idea although my tank will be placed against a wall, but definitely leaves options later down the road.

The initial DT was a peninsula style and the owner was uncertain of the age and since the silicone looked ok, but thin in some areas, I felt more comfortable searching for a brand new DT. As a result, I ended up finding a guy in Penn who was selling a Nused (new but previously owned, 3 yo 265 that has never seen water)

Below is a pic of the stand wrapped in a little bit of shrink wrap. It is sitting vertically, as I was about to load it up to transport to a wood shop. The stands are black , but are currently being striped, sanded, and then stained to better match the floors in our house.

I am currently attempting to aqauscape for a set up that is geared more to medium to large sized fish with light LPS and light SPS. That is my goal, with fat happy fish being the priority, but hopefully having a decent enough design to accommodate some nice corals.

The worst part about this build so far has been transporting the tanks and hiring help to assist with moving it downstairs into my basement (It was a tight fit)

Current Equipment:

40 Watt UV Sterilizer

Super Reef Oct SRO - 3000

75 gallon sump with refugium

Reef Octopus Varios DC Pump

135 pounds of Pukani

Plan to purchase:

Apex

3 Ecotech Radio Gen 4

Please share any advice or recommendations during this build as I am fairly new to the aspects of reefing, but do have experience with FOWLR tanks.

Still working on the aquascape

P.S. please share the best way for me to upload pics to this forum without utilizing too much space. Thx

post-2636546-0-90602400-1517797769_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-09793700-1517797829_thumb.jpeg

Here is the DT. I do not want to drill, but am considering cutting out the overflows, plugging the 1” drain and return holes and drilling holes for a ghost overflow once I determine if I can drill the back of the tank.

Again, I really do not want to drill, but wonder if one day I may regret the little bit of real estate they take up.

Any thoughts?

post-2636546-0-28862100-1517839313_thumb.jpeg

That’s going to be a real nice setup! I look forward to seeing it put together.

I use imgur to upload pictures. You have to upload the photos and then copy and paste the forum link associated with the photo you want to share. If you ever delete the photo in imgur it deletes it from where ever you shared it too. (That’s how all the photo sharing sites work for the most part)

Edited by John Ford

I would really suggest removing the internal overflows, plugging the holes, and drilling the back with some type of external overflow box and a Bean Animal drain. It will make all the difference in the world, and be so much cleaner! 

YH, thx for the input. I am really leaning towards your suggestion. It was not in my original plans and I guess it is extra work that I really did not want to do, but I do agree it will be much cleaner and the cost is minimum when considering the overall investment. I was researching some of the synergy reef ghost overflows this morning.

If anyone has recommendations of any ghost overflows please advise. Thx

YH, thx for the input. I am really leaning towards your suggestion. It was not in my original plans and I guess it is extra work that I really did not want to do, but I do agree it will be much cleaner and the cost is minimum when considering the overall investment. I was researching some of the synergy reef ghost overflows this morning.

If anyone has recommendations of any ghost overflows please advise. Thx

I've wanted to use them, but they didn't come out when I was putting together my last build, and for this build they were all too big. I believe @roni has one FS if you're looking. This go around I used an eShopps S, I don't know if the L would do it for your size tank, but I would want to find the biggest you can get, Especially for a tank that size. Is it possible for you to run it Peninsula, that will make a big difference, you could potentially drill the side of it instead of the back, so if you ever did swap it to a peninsula, you would have the option. He's no longer in the hobby, but here is a tank style I was thinking. 

That is a nice set up. I also like the way the return extends from the wall. What’s funny is the initial tank i purchased with the stand and extra equipment was a peninsula and set up to have everything run beneath the tank because the stand and canopy are constructed for an island type tank with all four sides having cabinet doors.

I sold the DT because the silicone was wearing and now I have this one with the two overflows. I think I will stick with removing the overflows and plugging the holes on the bottom. If I were ever to try to take advantage of setting an island type of tank I would probably try to find a DT with no holes pre drilled and then drill the center for the plumbing.

Reef synergy has a 20” ghost overflow I will continue to research. Hopefully I get some feedback on those.

Update:

The aqauscaping is not going as planned so I ordered another jumbo sized piece of pukani. I really want the scape to be suitable before Moving forward.

So in the meantime, I decided to examine the used 100 gallon water storage container I acquired. I quickly noticed that it had screws that held small brackets that rusted over time and stained the inside of the container.

Take a look: One pic contains the rust from the interior screws and shut off valve

Update:

The aqauscaping is not going as planned so I ordered another jumbo sized piece of pukani. I really want the scape to be suitable before Moving forward.

So in the meantime, I decided to examine the used 100 gallon water storage container I acquired. I quickly noticed that it had screws that held small brackets that rusted over time and stained the inside of the container.

Take a look: One pic contains the rust from the interior screws and shut off valve

post-2636546-0-43052200-1518482905_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-61885000-1518482958_thumb.jpeg

So I have managed to clean the inside a little with some water and bleach, but the plastic is still stained from the rust running down the interior. Should I fear possible leaching of the rust into the plastic? I think I’m good to go. I will do a TDS test to be certain

I've put several Glassholes overflow boxes in and they work pretty efficiently and quietly. Bombproof.

Drilling the glass is cake as long as its not tempered, thicker glass much easier too.

Dont worry about the rust. Free GFO. You could always take the rusty bolts out and plug the holes.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been making slow progress with the aquascape. I have no artistic skills so this has been challenging, but am going to stop here for now and start cooking.

I placed the rocks in the DT for to get an idea of how it may look. I put a blanket beneath them in case my tonga rock fell off and chipped the glass( that is the type of luck I have). I wanted an open concept but am not fully satisfied and will eventually add more rock for corals.

Please ignore the fact that the tank is backwards. Too heavy to move for this purpose. Also, the overflows will be removed and I plan to install a ghost overflow system. Rocks are cooking now (the order in penetrating the brute lids; may get some carbon), so I have several months to get the rest of this baby set up. My stand should be ready soon.

post-2636546-0-25052900-1519571481_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-83748400-1519571529_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-66555200-1519572024_thumb.jpeg