Fiji Coral ban

gmerek2

Some of the officers were discussing this in the last day or so.

https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/12/30/harvest-export-of-live-coral-now-banned-ministry/

The article says that the announcement comes a year after Fiji officially joined the Coral Alliance in Bonn, Germany back in November. The Minister for FIsheries is quoted as saying, "We are banning the export of our live corals, unless if they are bred by the export­ers, but the breaking of cor­als from the coral reef and regenerating it for export is banned from 2018." 

It closes with the following: "The Ministry of Fisher­ies and both the CITES MA and SC would be supporting the development of other sustainable options, par­ticularly the development of farmed or cultured coral."

My thoughts are that this is a very interesting development that may actually give existing mariculture operations on Fiji a competitive edge since their breeding operations are already in place. It remains to be seen if existing stands of coral that have been maricultured don't count as harvesting "from the reef," but are, instead, regarded as farmed lifestock. 

WAMAS just recently made a major contribution to Aquaculture Development for the Environment (ADE), a Fiji-based operation. The project seems to be in line with the Ministry of Fisheries objectives to develop "sustainable options" and may have a leg-up on other operations caught flat-footed by this announcement. We can only watch and see how this plays out.

(edited)

Everyone was really upset. I think it will be good for the hobby. Good for the environment if it’s actually enforced properly. I do feel bad for the villagers that depended on the corals.

To this date I have bought around 10 SPS mariculture. None of which are alive as they come loaded with barnacles and other pests and are not tank hardened. My friend had bought five, one of which is alive today. So to me I feel that it’s good for the hobby even though there may be some temporary minor price hikes. Glad to see our money go to good cause

Edited by gmerek2