theiling rollermat installation question

rashaad2k2

Hello WAMAS,

I just bought a Theiling Rollermat to do the task my Mechanical Filtration on my tank.  Looking at the set up, the rollermat has 1 Inlet, 1 main Outlet, and 1 emergency Outlet. 

My Question is, If I am running a Bean Animal Overflow setup, How should I pipe in my dual Inlets?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I was thinking about 2 options

1:  I could setup a T Connector that would combine my Overflow inlets into 1 Inlet that would go to the Rollermat.  I am concerned this may be a bit loud.

2: I could drill an additional Inlet on the Rollermat case to accommodate my second inlet from my overflow.  However, the plastic on the Rollermat seems like it can crack easily.  Didn't want to damage the case.

Any thoughts?

Spitballing here, but I would add the full siphon into your one inlet, and the second "trickle" into your emergency, presuming you still had an off-shoot emergency plumbed outside of the rollermat for the 3rd pipe.

Hello YHSublime.  Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I guess i could do that...Maybe i am over thinking it.  Since my Second "Trickle" drain doesn't have alot of flow, i could just go directly to my sump. My emergency drain still goes directly into the Sump.  (3 Drain Bean Animal set up)

Thanks again.

Hello YHSublime.  Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I guess i could do that...Maybe i am over thinking it.  Since my Second "Trickle" drain doesn't have alot of flow, i could just go directly to my sump. My emergency drain still goes directly into the Sump.  (3 Drain Bean Animal set up)

Thanks again.

Sure, t'ing off the outlets would negate the purpose of the Bean Animal. You want to keep the integrity of the design, and I think what I suggested would work, but I'm not an expert on rolling mats or plumbing, for that matter!

Sure, t'ing off the outlets would negate the purpose of the Bean Animal. You want to keep the integrity of the design, and I think what I suggested would work, but I'm not an expert on rolling mats or plumbing, for that matter!

Additionally, a tee would "break" the full siphon by allowing air to enter after the gate valve on the main drain. Would gurgle as air gets sucked in.

I have one. One is emergency drain. One through rollermat with gate valve to adjust flow as there only rated to about 700 gph and one drain directly into the sump before the skimmer also with a valve to control flow

Emergency on right rollermat to left of that then far left of sump is other drain41edb8756e1d5c56648cf26b8bc73698.jpgf2765878e4831184802289d35a7ca2f4.jpgb614a477c9d7c53d32b475ebfbf89b2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Emergency on right rollermat to left of that then far left of sump is other drain

Spitballing here, but I would add the full siphon into your one inlet, and the second "trickle" into your emergency, presuming you still had an off-shoot emergency plumbed outside of the rollermat for the 3rd pipe.

So this ^?

I should add. I dont have a trickle. I have emergency then other 2 drains are about the same flow give or take a little bit. I try to keep as much water as possible going through the rollermat without workimg it to death. I got about 3.5 months out of one roll and i feed heavy

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WOW @pizzaguy.  I am Completely jealous of your Setup!  Very nice. 

Thanks for the input (and inspiration to get my Sump set up more organized)

I have a Basement sump setup with my Display tank on the Floor above. 

WOW @pizzaguy. I am Completely jealous of your Setup! Very nice.

Thanks for the input (and inspiration to get my Sump set up more organized)

I have a Basement sump setup with my Display tank on the Floor above.

Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently too ashamed to show my basement Sump set up.  But I finally got my Metric to Standard adapter (BRS backorder) for my rollermat and i am going to repipe everything.  Once done I'll take a pic.

:cool:

Edited by rashaad2k2