Test kits

Mattb1612

Hi everyone,

I’m in the market for a test kit to test: cal,alk, mag, phos and nitrates. I wanna know what people use that they trust. I had a Red Sea test kit for calc, alk and mag but does anyone ever feel that water volume if not precise can skew the tests? Just looking out there what everyone tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use salifert and Hanna for kh. Red sea for calcium and magnesium.

I had 2 salifert Ca test kits. One read abnormally high and the other really low. The Hanna and red sea always tested nearly identical all the time.

I use Red Sea and Hanna. Salifert was always great and the color change is immediate but the syringes were too small and getting too hard to read for me. I use Red Sea for Calcium and Nitrate and Hanna for ULR Phosphate and Alkalinity.

I use Hanna for alkalinity because it's extremely simple. Salifert's magnesium kit is a piece of cake as well so I continue to use it. I used Salifert for Calcium for the better part of 15 years but I cant get even drops out of reagent #2 (the one that requires eight or 10 drops) to save my life anymore so I dumped it and picked up a Red Sea Pro kit; I find it much easier to get consistent readings from (the dropper bottle is far superior and combined with the fine powder reagent and decent sized spoon, you get consistent results if you have shaky hands like I do). With both titration kits (Mg and Ca), it is important to add the final reagent until the sample completely changes color with no hint of the original color (typically pink/purple for the above two kits).