Set up for hydro galaxy wifi 165w /Chinese black box leds?

Looking for recommendation for how high/off the water to hang the light off the water.

Would also like scheme and intensity recommendations.

For softies and Lps shallow sand bed, white sand.

Tank is a I'M nuvo 40 19" or 20" high.

I have similar lights over my frag tank (12" deep). I generally set them about 12-16" off the water and plan for 24" x 24" of coverage. There are two manually variable channels - one is mostly blue and the other has a variety of whites and other colors - and I'm guessing that I run mine at less than 50% for this shallow setup that serves SPS and LPS mostly.

Thanks Tom. I'll probably shoot for 10"-12" due to the tank depth. It's one of the wifi ones so it's got some sort of ramping capability to my knowledge.

PS Nearly 20k posts, that's impressive. I've been away from WAMAS too long.

Thanks Tom. I'll probably shoot for 10"-12" due to the tank depth. It's one of the wifi ones so it's got some sort of ramping capability to my knowledge.

PS Nearly 20k posts, that's impressive. I've been away from WAMAS too long.

So you've got one of those fancy units?!! Ha! Being over the frag tank in the back room, I just need them to come on and go off. In fact, if they only had one cord each (they have two), I'd probably still be good with them. I'm in the process of rebuilding some of my old ones and picked up a couple more Mars Aqua units off eBay a few weeks ago for a little less than $100 each. Decent value if I can get another five or six years out of them.

It'll be a little bit before I hit 20K posts but, yeah, they go fast. I can remember crossing the 10K threshold. It wasn't all that long ago and now we have a few people that have passed that mile-marker.

I have the 300w version over my 40g breeder hanging 12 inches above water running blues at 60% and whites at 15-20%