What to set my live rock on?

Jon Lazar

I'm getting ready to start aquascaping, and I'm going to place the rock first for stability.  Then I'll add a ~2" sandbed.

I'm looking for ways to elevate the rockwork an inch or two above the tank bottom so the first two inches of rock aren't buried in the sand.  I thought about concrete pavers from HD, but not sure which ones are reef safe.

Any best practices?

PVC and then sand mixed with epoxy to cover it. Ask copps about the epoxy. Saw it in his presentation for CMAS. Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will epoxy stick on pvc ?

Epoxy sticks to everything. At least the kind I️ have used. Never for aquarium use though. But the pvc is just to elevate the rock. The sand mixed into epoxy will cover the pvc kind of like play-dough and keep detritus in areas that can actually be siphoned. There should be no structure that depends on the epoxy sand sticking to the pvc for stability. I️n theory. I️ have never done this. Just watched the lecture on it.

Is minimal contact with the sand an option? I'm planning to lift the vast majority of the rock structure off the sand bed but will be using rocks here and there as the pillars. This provides places for awesome stuff like gobies and pistol shrimp to hang out also. Not sure what exactly your concern is with the rocks contacting the sand but between the goby/pistol pair and the diamond goby we have, the sand around and under all the rockwork in my current tank gets completely relocated fairly often so there aren't any particular dead spots.

My biggest reason is that I have a live rock pillar and I want to attach it to a wide, flat, heavy base for stability.  A 12x12x1 paver sounds ideal.

My second reason is that I want the look of the rock sitting on the sand, but I want the stability of the rock sitting on the tank bottom panel.  

I don't want to use PVC pipes to create a scaffolding for the rockwork.  I've got Marco cement for that.

If you're worried about the pavers because of any of binders used to make them, what about a piece of flagstone instead? May not be quite as perfectly flat or smooth as a paver but will probably be pretty inert.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!  We took a tour of HD and looked at pavers and flagstone, and talked about the pros and cons of eggcrate.

In the end we decided to simply place the rock on the glass bottom and go with a slightly shallower sand bed.  We're also making liberal use of Marco mortar to stabilize the rocks-especially the foundation rocks.  Critters can dig all they want without making anything unstable.

What about those marine blocks will all the holes

Can’t remember the name

marine pure block !! but that would be super expensive to add to display

I used regular white 1/2 inch pvc from HD to raise 4 inches - so fish can hangout under the rocks and water can flow u set the rocks

But in retrospect I should have done what @mari recommended after 6 mth the coralline algae has been taking over the white pvc so it’s not bad

6e60d7252464a33f93fdb2d061d7cdc1.jpg