Mari’s Reef

Hey guys I don’t think I ever started one of these because my tank was never pretty or clean but now that it’s been a year my 36 gallon fluval m90 is really taking off!

Some info on the equipment. The fluval m90 is a (regrettably) sumpless “AIO” which just means they make the display smaller to give you a space behind a panel to put equipment, which I have come to dislike. It is very hard to work back there as a 5’0” person and the tank is against a wall. Even with a step stool. I have a tunze 9001 skimmer and ATO. I have a media tumbler which I don’t use. Some fluval ceramic media, new marine pure media, and a pump that is on the fritz currently.

Inside I’ve got too many corals, some macro algae, a pair of clowns, a sixline wrasse, bicolor blenny, two rock anemones, a red brittle star that I can’t catch and is way too big now, and one rainbow bubble tip.

Past hurdles:

-not knowing about tds that caused my RODI to make ammonia water and then Nitrate shot up to 100

-green slime algae that didn’t die out after removal, 5 day blackout, and then huge waterchange-> solution was raise alk. I have no idea why

-VERY low alk. I’m talking 4.5. Red Sea kit was hard to read at low levels-> solution was a Hanna checker & two part

Current hurdles:

-too many corals

-alternatively, too small tank

-some hair algae

-coral addiction

Right after I added the clowns 1 year ago:

112f7fe24a9538ca9ae4e4ec9094ce85.jpg

Before dosing:

de4bfc30e678585ec68254d498eeca3e.jpg

After dosing and rescape:

8a8745ddc88d1210b34d9d365817bfd3.jpg

I finally see growth now that I dose too-

Before dosing:

43152523dd7cd24180900e58d128b80a.jpg

After 1 month dosing:

c42ba808e7a9c8f9c508a0e42a7481ef.jpg

Another few weeks dosing:

1fb7a7d640d3145cfbbbae602a5bd288.jpg

I’m glad I kept with my reef tank. It went from being a chore to being a beautiful and clean underwater landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

efb4a78866dbf08fe3ec81ba7b89b552.jpg

Here’s that glow tip bn again. The branches have gotten increasingly thinner as they split. Some great growth.

I have some problems with nutrient export, but want to try to do minimal water changes. Not sure what all in one supplement I’d want to dose. Considering triton and Red Sea. My “refugium mushroom tree” rock grows a full head of hair just about every week. Constantly throwing it out. Is there anyone out there with a successful low maintenance nano that i can use as a template? Also just want to see your tanks :~)

I have also considered throwing a sump in the cabinet but i habe no idea how to do that without drilling or flooding my room. And then when i get the sump do i fill it with macro or make it a frag tank. All my equipment fits in the back chamber anyway so i dont need to move that. I sort of enjoy the idea of completely removing the back panel and putting the equipment in the sump because i can barely reach to the ground in my tank and also enjoy having depth which is sorely lacking as it is only a foot wide with 4 inches for the back chamber. It would look a little funky as the glass is frosted on the sides four inches. If the back panel was removed i could also add a shadow box because the glass behind is clear.