Is a air intake regulator really needed for skimmer?

TonyInVa

I see most skimmers these days using air intake regulators. I have a Reef Octopus that is a two years ago and it does not have one. The problem I am having is that my skimmer one day will produce very thick skimmate, and take several days to fill up the collection cup. Then some days the cup fills up in a day. Not sure if an air intake regulator would help me better adjust my skimmer.Then can you purchase these separately? I can't find them when searching..

Some older, no recirculating skimmers that I had - small and large - had valves on the air intake. Adjusting the valve changed how much air was drawn in and, hence, how much water was moving through the pump. The more water, the higher the level ran in the skimmer. Water level in these non-recirculating models depended on the water level outside the skimmer, the opening on the outlet, and the flow of water coming being forced into the skimmer. And, on top of that, the amount of foam head was a combination of how much air was being drawn in, the neck size, organics in the water, and salinity. I found non-recirculating skimmers way more sensitive to water level variation than recirculating skimmers. I don't know if that's what you're seeing, but that's what drove me away from non-recirculating designs.

As for regulating air intake: Skimmer pumps are a whole lot more efficient today than they were 10 years ago when many people were mesh-modding their own pumps. With the advent of variable speed DC pumps, being able to adjust pump speed and air intake just adds more flexibiilty for you to play with. Just my thoughts.

Sump level consistency is very important for some skimmers and weirs can help maintain that. I'm sure they make valves but you might have to search for them. What size tubing is it? Back in the early 90's when I was making DIY skimmers I made my own air restrictor. Took two flat stock of plexi and used plastic screws and wing nuts to smash the hose to restrict air flow to where I wanted.