Got Cladophora?

mogurnda

After spending way too much time developing stable Bryopsis cultures for the slugs, I now have big, fat, happy Elysia.  Time to go after the next roadblock.   Getting eggs to hatch, and the juveniles to settle is not a big deal, but getting them to start eating has been an obstacle.  They crawl around on Bryopsis, but don't seem to be willing or able to eat it.  Some other species of Elysia eat Cladophora as their first food, then switch to the adult diet later.  

I would love to try a batch of juveniles on Cladophora, but the collectors in the keys are out of action for the moment.  Does anyone have any growing in a refugium or macro tank at the moment?  I am trying Chaetomorpha, Caulerpa, and Codium, but am not particularly hopeful.

ha

caulerpa is macroalgae.

I’m aware. I’m also aware they have calurpa. But maybe not this calurpa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the same as hair algae? Also I have this calurpa if you’d like some

Thanks for the offer.  Hair algae is usually Derbesia, and these guys don't seem to have any interest in it.  I may try the C. racemosa at some point, but will continue the hunt for Cladophora.  I thought the likelihood of finding Cladophora here was low, but am giving it a try.

Mari, it appears that you have grape Caulerpa, there (C. racemosa, as Dave pointed out).

For everybody else, here's a picture of cladophora from Wikipedia that might be useful if you're checking on whether or not you can help. Note that it's got a kind of branching, hairy (filamentous) form - thinner and less structured than Bryopsis, but more complex than regular hair algae (Derbesia). 

800px-Cladophora.JPG

Mari, it appears that you have grape Caulerpa, there (C. racemosa, as Dave pointed out).

For everybody else, here's a picture of cladophora from Wikipedia that might be useful if you're checking on whether or not you can help. Note that it's got a kind of branching, hairy (filamentous) form - thinner and less structured than Bryopsis, but more complex than regular hair algae (Derbesia).

I know. He said he was trying macro algaes in his parting statement and there are many types of calurpas so I just offered this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was unwillingly growing several variations of algae in my old nano, I believe cladophora was one of them. 

Not at all helpful now, but give me a couple of months, and I'm sure I'll have some bizarre issue again that might suit your needs  :laugh: