Quantum reefs leopard wrasse

Jeskay14

I recently made a want to buy post for a leopard wrasse and was told that Quantum Reefs had them in stock and were a great store. So for those who pointed me in that direction thank you! I picked one up today and am on my way home with him now. I decided to just make a post on my process with him as these guys have been said to be a hit or miss. Also wanted to talk about the quality of the store which was amazing! They have great corals, great fish, and a pretty good setup of the store. Although they guy helping didn't seem to interested in helping me or giving me any advice the other people there were pretty helpful.

So now back to the fish. I plan to qt him In my already setup nuvo that's currently just running with live rock and chaeto. I'll keep him in there for a week and treat prazi, along with a tub of sand for him to hide in. I'll make sure he's eating and healthy and hopefully move him to my display by next weekend. If anyone has any other advice or or pointers let me know! I'll be updating as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also does anyone know where thy get their fish from and if they are typically really hardy/ healthy. Fish was healthy and eating in store but just curious.

Side note though if you go there make sure they don't bag it like a jack a** as I just home from about a 40 minute drive and the fish is nearly dead and breathing very hard. Also take a good look at the fish because they don't have lights on their tanks. I put a light over my acclimation bucket and there's a gash like line on the side of its body...

He's been laying on his side with the occasional movement to another part of the bucket. I really hope he pulls through

No I saw the fish I just don't think I got a good enough look of it which is my fault of course but they don't keep lights over their fish tanks which didn't help but it's mainly my fault

You bought a fish that you couldn't see in the tank? Why did they say the lights were off?

^^sorry forgot to quote you

Hey Jeskay,

Nice fish man. I have always wanted one of these. I have never run a QT tank but I'm going to in the future. From what I read if your not running copper I would keep your salinity a little lower at 1.10 since I heard thats easier for them to breath. But like I said I have never set one up. Best of luck with him and hopefully he makes it.

Hey Jeskay,

Nice fish man. I have always wanted one of these. I have never run a QT tank but I'm going to in the future. From what I read if your not running copper I would keep your salinity a little lower at 1.10 since I heard thats easier for them to breath. But like I said I have never set one up. Best of luck with him and hopefully he makes it.

thanks! And from what I have read and learned these guys shouldn't be put in the usual qt or treated with copper as they're fragile and don't tend to do well with either. What I read works best is either adding straight to display or adding to a smaller set up tank that you can treat prazi and will work as a qt like setup.

Let me know how the prazi treatment goes.  Me personally I have had a 100% mortality rate on leopards I bring in using it.  I stopped using it about 4 leopards and have had great success since. 

Let me know how the prazi treatment goes. Me personally I have had a 100% mortality rate on leopards I bring in using it. I stopped using it about 4 leopards and have had great success since.

well I havnt actually dosed any yet so then I'll wait until he come out of hiding and if I notice any flukes or parasite symptoms I'll treat. Thanks for the advice!

put a cup with sand in it...the leopard needs it

i have free sand if you need some

hes currently hiding in a little tub I put in there!

e8980303f48b7b5762728108ec296f81.jpgas of right now he's buried in the tub of sand so I am unaware of his condition. Hopefully he's ok and will begin coming out soon!

Good news got home and snuck into my room to check and he's out! He doesn't seem to be looking for pods or anything but he is out and beginning to explore!